Water damaged plasterboard - repair or replace?

Hi,

We've recently suffered some internal water damage from a leak, leading to a partially collapsed ceiling and several plasterboard walls showing areas of brown stains.

The house is now dry, following several weeks with de-humidifiers and air movers running, and on the whole, the plasterboard walls appear to be sound. However, I'm getting different opinions from various contractors as to whether the stained walls areas should be replaced, or whether treatment with a stain blocker prior to re-painting would be sufficient.

Can anyone offer any advice?

TIA

Spoon

Reply to
Spoon

Try the stain block approach and see if you're happy with it? If it turns out ot be no good you can always replace the plasterboard later.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Possibly. But several layers of white matt may be quite adequate and cheaper.

Reply to
Mike

The potential problem there is that if I'm not happy down the line, I'll have the expense and inconvenience of having to re-plasterboard and re-decorate for the second time, which is why I'd like to get it right, without going overboard, initially.

The other factor is that the damage was caused by a negligent contractor - who I may have to sue to cover the repair work - another incentive to get it right first time whilst he's footing the bill.

Reply to
Spoon