Water Butts

I am looking into the possibility of putting one maybe two large water butts on my garage's flat roof to supply water for a garden hose, car washing with a Karcher pressure washer and supplying the garage sink with water.

Can anyone advise if this is feasible? and if so any pitfalls or problems with this idea that I cannot see yet.

Will the garage roof be strong enough to cope with the weigh of the butts? the roof has 7" x 2" joists at 24" centres and is covered with 3/4 tongue and groove flooring.

thanks

John

Reply to
John M

Have you had a look through any of these site ? :

are a great read if you're seriously thinking of a system like this.

Reply to
BigWallop

Very feasable.

7x2 at 24" centers doesn't "feel" enough to me. You need to know how big the butts are going to be, work out the weight add 50% and finally work out what you need to support that.

Having said that just putting in 7x2's between the existing ones under the whole area where the butts will be "feels" right. Assuming that the butts will be at a supported end of the joists not in the middle.

You may need to consider the roof covering, the butts will push through felt and any stones/debris trapped make holes...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice