water blowing under garage doors suggestions please

Hi Chaps, After the last few days gales, I realise that quite a lot of water is being blown under the bottom of my roller shutter garage door.

Is there a semi-rigid rubber flap style product that could be attached to the inside at the bottom of the door which would stop the water being blown in?

I was thinking that the rubber flaps used for stopping you tripping over pa cables in studios might do the trick, but I'm not sure how to attach it.

The other thing I was thinking of was a 4 in strip of pond liner or some such.

Any other ideas?

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

A mortar fillet on the inside. Mark a line along the inner face of the door, screw a 2 x 1 timber batten along the line & another a couple of inches away. Use ready mix mortar mixed with PVA. Remove battens before mortar sets completely.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or save yourself a lot of effort. Mark a line along the inner face of the door, screw a 2 x 1 timber batten along the line. Job done. (Maybe slap a bit of paint/PVA/varnsih on it.)

If you can't face screwing a batten to the floor, you could try gripfill/pink stuff/building adhesive. Would need some means of holding batten in place and weighted down for glue curing time. But very difficult to remove if ever needed.

Reply to
Rod

How about Screwfix P/N 29327.

CRB

Reply to
crb

Why not contact a roller shutter company and ask?

My thoughts would include a rubber fender fitted to the bottom of the door

maybe something from

a ramp either side of the shutter so that the shutter drops into the slot between them

A rubber or plastic skirt could be fitted to the outside but needs to be heavy enough that the wind would not lift it, something 5mm thick at least I would have thought. Certainly pond liner would not have the weight to stay down

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Wickes sell something specifically for this - basically a length of rubber with a metal frame for where it attaches to the door, so it's flexible where it meets the floor. It's designed really for over/under garage doors, but it'll probably do what you want.

They're about 14UKP.

Reply to
Neil Barker

S'what I did. Works a treat.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, I've even found a bespoke garage seals online supplier now as well, so now I need to decide which of your suggestions to implement.

and I didn't even get a sarcastic/silly response from anyone!

Thanks again

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Thus spake Ian & Hilda Dedic ( snipped-for-privacy@dedics.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Really? Because I was about to suggest that you completely demolish the garage, break up the concrete base on which it is built, then bebuild both such there is a very slight doorward incline, just enough to prevent water from flowing in under the door. No-one else thought about that now, did they, eh?

;-)

Reply to
A.Clews

multitudes:

You really go for the quick bodge job don't you. Demolish the existing garage and rebuild it on a powered rotating base so the door is always facing out of the wind. Proper job.

Realistically, the batten idea works but the sharp edge may crumble if you drive cars over it. I screwed a length if 1" angle to the floor and concreted a fillet behind that.

John

Reply to
John

Dig a trench in the garage floor just behind, and the full width of, the door and fill with gravel.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

multitudes:

...so far so good...

Nah. Then spin at sufficient rpm to make any water fly out of the garage.

Reply to
Rod

For some measure of "gales" that amount to no more than a stiff breeze. A 1" up lift won't stop heavy rain being driven up and over with a decent blow. I get some over a 1 " rise behind out up 'n over door and that has a brush strip along the bottom edge that reaches the ground and is pushed against the up rise.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thus spake Rod ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Makes parking the car a bit of a challenge, though.

Reply to
A.Clews

What have cars got to do with garages?

Reply to
Rod

We have a winner...!

Reply to
Steve Walker

This one's quite sensible!

Thanks guys,the other suggestions made me laugh out loud!!!!!

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic