water based satinwood paint on alkyd undercoat?

Does water based satinwood paint work with "normal" oil based undercoats?

I have some old glossed woodwork and new mdf next to it to paint with satinwood (crown)

I also have some recent alkyd Leyland undercoat - will they work together or do I need a water based undercoat ? If so will that stick to the old (keyed) gloss paint?

Cheers

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Satinwood (at least the Dulux Trade stuff) is self-undercoating so I'm not sure what all this talk of seperate undercoat is about.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I expect Dulux Trade Satinwood is oil based not water based...

why yes ;>) "This is a solvent based satin finish."

The stuff I have is waterbased - so my query is still of interest to me...

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Depends which one you get, e.g. [1]. Nevertheless, all Dulux satinwoods, the two trade ones and two non-trade ones, are all self-undercoating.

I'd be very surprised if water-based satinwood were incompatible with solvent-based paints. Other water-based acrylic paints work just fine, so I don't see why satinwood would be different.

The only time I've seen it explicitly mentioned not to combine water-based and solvent-based coats is with an expensive water-based 'paint system', usually limited to high-quality exterior joinery work where the paint system is guaranteed for a number of years.

Are you sure the solvent-based coat is properly keyed and the satinwood is properly stirred?

[1]

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

yet even on Dulux Trade Satinwood tins, you will find it says (WTTEO) 'if a strong colour change is required use an applicable Dulux Trade undercoat'. Typically it doesn't say which one..

to remind, I have bare MDF next to flatted old gloss - hence why I think I require an undercoat - but which one? has to go under a waterbased satinwood & OVER an old solvent finish (ass well as MDF but that's straightforward)..

Though your proffered datasheet [1] says:-

"When applying water-based paints to surfaces previously decorated with a conventional solvent-based paint, very thorough surface preparation will be necessary."

What is "very thorough surface preparation"??

I don't doubt they "work" FSVO Work - to remind, I am interested in the gotchas of applying water based (especially satinwood) paints over solvent paints (undercoat)...

irrelevant - I have not keyed nor applied it yet, that's why I am asking the question?!

Reply to
Jim K

strong colour change is required use an applicable Dulux Trade undercoat'. Typically it doesn't say which one..

require an undercoat - but which one? has to go under a waterbased satinwood & OVER an old solvent finish (ass well as MDF but that's straightforward)..

conventional solvent-based paint, very thorough surface preparation will be necessary."

gotchas of applying water based (especially satinwood) paints over solvent paints (undercoat)...

I have had no problems with water-based acrylic undercoats on _old_ gloss or other oil-based. Simply sand suitably and whack it on. On the other hand, if the oil-based paint being painted is relatively new, the acrylic can be less happy - even if sanded.

Reply to
polygonum

You're right, some cans do mention undercoat in that context, though some just say apply more coats of satinwood. In my experience, satinwood obliterates well so I'm not sure how big a problem in practice. Might have to experiment turning black to white.

Rod makes a good point about the difficulty of water-based coats on

*new* solvent-based coats, especially a problem with new VOC rules. So if you want to put something under the satinwood to paint on top of immediately, go with something water-based.

Their way of saying "don't be a lazy bugger and think you can just tickle it with your sandpaper". Just make sure you rub it so the surface is no longer glossy. Obviously only works if you're painting on top of gloss :P but you get the idea.

The only gotchas I can think of are the one Rod pointed out about water-based on top of modern solvent-based coats that take _ages_ to really dry properly, and the 'paint systems' I mentioned before.

Apologies, I got you mixed up with the OP of the other thread who said his satinwood was beading (!!).

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison