Water and human proof bell push needed

Well says it all. I have a little door phone and after about 6 months trying to keep the call/bell button has been abandoned in favour of an old bell push I found in a drawer with a Woolworths price tag on it. This is wired so it shorts the intercom cable as the original failed one which consisted of some tacky little push switch on a pcb glued in with heat glue. the Woolies on is your basic two brass bits sprung apart and a plastic button to short them together. Tis worked fine till one of two things happened. Firstly, its not waterproof and when its really wet, it shorts enough to make the bell sound or make silly whining noises leaving the amp running with clicks and groans. Or, the local cold caller or whoever who seems to have been studying finger karate, squishes it so much the prongs stay shorted out when the finger is removed. Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so wondered if anyone else had any bright ideas? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I seem to recall those old type of bell pushes that seemed to always work come rain or shine. I mean the white coloured ceramic buttons encased in brass, that you used to see outside old buildings. I don't know if they are still available or not.

Reply to
Bod

My Friedland D723 seems to been built to keep the weather away from the contacts, perhaps you want one without illumination such as the D824 to suit use with a doorphone? Only two or three quid.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that a wireless or wired bell push?

Reply to
Bod

Use a proper hall effect switch so that it can be completely waterproof and it doesn?t matter what anyone pressing it does with the magnet on the button short of attacking it with a hammer.

Reply to
Jacko

Try this for a traditional bell that always works and has big chunky batteries

Reply to
stuart noble

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail quickly. I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and water proof push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As a bell push, inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for the link, but even that bell push looks like the standard rubbishy ones (I could well be wrong though). Have you any experience of this one, by any chance?

Reply to
Bod

Google for vandal proof push buttons. RS certainly used to have some very well made ones and not stupid money either.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

What I'd like is a reasonably priced external door phone. One that is a 'normally wired' phone , but will dial a preset number when the button is pressed, and has a grille for mic and speaker (i.e. just a box). They all seem to be really stupid prices.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds like an ideal application for a RasPi.

Reply to
Huge

A wired one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ok.

Reply to
Bod

Bod explained on 07/05/2015 :

You are correct, they are just the standard rubbishy ones. I suppose you could entirely fill the push with silicon grease, to help exclude the water?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yebbut, we should expect an external doorbell to be waterproof. I don't think that is asking too much.

Reply to
Bod

I've never seen an actual door bell push which is truly waterproof. But you can buy waterproof push switches from the likes of RS, etc. Maybe not quite so attractive, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, thanks.

Reply to
Bod

A bit of WD40 fixes most problems here. You can buy weather proof momentary switches in screwfix ISTR

Reply to
harryagain

No I don't want a bell, I want the door intercom and bell to actually work. that is the point. I could easily get a proper door chime or something that playes the latest telephone ring tones, but that is not what I'm after, its only a bloody switch after all, I am not interested in reinventing the wheel. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

This is tempting fate I'm sure, but I've had an Aldidl wireless bell for several years now and the push is on a SW-facing door. I did put a bit of Plumber's Mait around it originally, so that might have helped.

Reply to
PeterC