Watching paint dry.

Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer.

I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations and electrics being moved etc -long story).

The corner is small and cramped and usually houses my freezer.

The paint I used was supposed to dry in two hours. 24 hours and counting later, its still wet! Well not all of it. Just the part nearest the floor ( two feet and on the one wall.

I know its a kitchen. I know the corner is prone to condensation and since all the way is now dry except this part, I am guessing its just lack of air and hot damp atmosphere but is there a way I can dry it out quickly now? I want my kitchen back

I have the dehumidifier on in the hope that will do it but its not going very fast. I have had the windows open and the door but still no go

Reply to
sweetheart

I'd have had the fan heater on it by now. And running the dehumidifier with the windows and doors open might do summat for your local climate, but it won't dry out the kitchen much.

Reply to
John Williamson

So, you aresaying it needs heat, not the water drawing out then?

Ok, I will get the fan heater out instead.

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

On Sunday 22 September 2013 11:56 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I suggest one or the other. If dehumidifier is running, close teh doors and windows.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As I don't have a dehumidifier, gentle local heat's another way of reducing the humidity in the area. Of course,if the paint's water based and not drying because the damp's coming in through the substrate, you may be on a loser no matter what you do.

Reply to
John Williamson

Water based paint? As in you clean the brishes with soapy water? Yes. Its vynal matt kitchen paint ( magnolia in case you wonder).

I have closed the doors and windows and put the fan heater on and now its drying off nicely.

Thank you.

Reply to
sweetheart

You might have to take it off and dry the corner and paint it with some kind of sealing gunge for it to work. You don't say what paint it was, but if it was that non smelling acrilic stuff, I'd chuck it in the bin and get some more normal stuff. I had a bit of bathroom wall done it that and it was always tacky and then came off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Using heat to dry paint. Who would have thought of that? Amazing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Be fair, this is Sweetheart. We didn't know she had a fan heater. She's not usually allowed such luxuries.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Put the freezer back and forget about it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why can't she turn the boiler on? Everyone seems to have a boiler except me. I have a fan heater!

Reply to
Matty F

Just hijacking this thread. A few years ago I painted the woodwork in our hallway with as quick drying gloss (I can't remember the make). I used quick drying, 'cos with three young kids and the only toilets being upstairs, I couldn't keep them away from it for long! Anyway, it gave a poor finish (more silk than gloss) and rapidly lost its sheen completely wherever hands touched regularly. We tend to hang coats, scarves, school blazers and the like on the newel post and suddenly, after 18 months or so, the paint went soft and stuck to my wife's coat and silk scarf. Has anyone else experienced this or has any idea why it would happen?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

You need one of the new 90 degree corners. Anyone who is right on and is not square has got one.

Reply to
ARW