Watching Freeview TV (Part II)

Well, the Goodmans Freeview box arrived this morning, so I connected it as instructed and ... nothing. It runs through the initial setup as expected, but does not find any channels. I guess this can only mean that the aerial on the roof is too old?

Reply to
News

Or its pointing at a relay with no freeview channels on it, yet.

Reply to
dennis

or pointing at a satellite :-

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll have to wait until I can get outside in daylight, and double check which direction it is pointing. I'm sure it is NE, but will check with a compass.

Reply to
News

Is the aerial vertically polarised? Does it point NNE towards the Tullich relay? Is this it?

http://g.co/maps/emdmtLooks about right if so, transmitter is only 1.5 miles away, on top of a hill, does aerial have its nose pointing up at it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you use woolfbane in part 1 to check which aerial you needed? Also, did you get pointed to uk.tech.digital-tv?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

More likely the co-ax has failed in some way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

main lobe (Tony Sayer will confirm) is at least 10 degrees with little fall off on most beam types..so a compass is good enough.

There's a site somewhere that will tell you what signal strength and antenna type you need if you key in the postcode...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If I am not mistaken, when it all first started in Scotland, Goodmans seemed to have a high failure rate, i.e. DOA.

Have any of your neighbours got a box, known to be working, they could lend you? If you were to plug it in your set up without any retuning it may just work ... then try tuning it and see what happens. Then take back to neighbour and retune there.

Reply to
Charles

Dave has hit the nail on the head.

There are three aerials on the roof, with coax cables to three rooms, so I have moved everything to another room (where we don't want a TV, of course), and it all works perfectly. The Freeview box seemed to pick up two 'blocks' of signals, one at 100 per cent strength, and the other at

93 per cent strength.

Next job is to find out why the original cable failed. Thanks, all.

Reply to
News

From the relay there are three multiplexes, but one of them is for HD, so your SD box will ignore it, main transmitters have three extra SD multiplexes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Old ones are sometimes full of water. ;-) Or the connections to the aerial corroded. Although the most likely problems are at the set end - so I'd first check there as it's the easiest bit to do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

The numpty that fitted the previous one here fitted it upside down, so the lid of the connector box was acting as a saucer and was holding the water in, rather than keeping it out.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson