Waste drainage problem

or insuficient slope on the wate pipe..

That isn't the job of an overflow.

you can get a bottle trap that is meant for syphoning problems, Marley about

5 quid in B&Q. I doubt it will help your problem though

maybe a fundemental design problem with the basin. Often the fancy looking items are a bit impractical like one toilet I fitted not too long ago, looks great but blocks very easily..

Reply to
BillR

That is what worries me about choosing a new one, as I am in the process of doing. I'm sure they all meet (somebody's) standards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they work well in real life.

Any specific pointers?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

What is the regulatory position about sink & bath overflows?

IIRC it used to be down to local requirements.

Can the bath pop-up waste fittings that seem to be popular now be used without the overflow connection?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Anything will work with a saniflo pump :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I looked in my 2 year old regs copy, and the matters addressed are pipe diamter (32mm) and use of traps only. No mention is made of requirements for overflow.

I have left many a bath/sink/basin running and flooded the floor, even equipped with overflow. No overflow I have ever used can cope with mains pressure water at full crack on even a basin tap.

My conclusion is they are almost a waste of time: The only time they do something useful is when you lower yourself gently into the bath, you don't have to pull the plug out to drop the water level if you do it slow enough for the overflow to cope.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Let's not go there :-(

Anyway, surely the s******w won't actually suck out of the pan, it simply pumps away (most of) what is presented to it

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Alternatively, if you don't fit one (and you don't make waves) you can have another 50 mm of water to soak in.

When bath capacities are stated, what are the standards for measurement? ISTR an allowance of 70 litres for displacement.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hi,

I have just fitted a glass bowl basin in my bathroom, it has a pop-up waste and no overflow. I have problems getting the water to flow away, I usually have to operate the waste several times in quick succession, it seems as if there is an airlock.

Could this be because of no overflow to admit air?

If so, is it possible to fit some sort of device to admit air?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Reply to
alex