Waste Disposal - Get a Camera and a Receipt

It does everywhere I have ever lived. All the days go back one day(assuming one bank holiday) and Fridays is done on Saturday. The following Monday is then back to normal. How else would they do it?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Which they then mix up together and use for road surfacing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not here it doesn't.

Which further goes to show it's not that simple.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

She can usually manage to push a single wheelie bin from its normal location to the pick up point. She cannot manage that with the box-type containers supplied for other waste.

Given the former weekly collection, failure to put out was not followed by another fortnight before things are collected. The fortnight wait now feels like a "fine" or "punishment" for being unable to manage to do what has been imposed.

She simply cannot manage always to get the right stuff into the right container **at the time she wants to chuck stuff out**. She cannot always manage going out to put stuff into the appropriate alternate bins and it is difficult to see how we could satisfactorily manage four separate bins in our kitchen. Further, she could not carry the full bins from the kitchen out as needed.

Anyway, I really do not see why I should have to convince you by argument rather than you accept my assertion that some people have problems with the system as it now exists here.

Reply to
Rod

Rod (Rod ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So buy her one of these.

do it yourself, you idle git.

Reply to
Adrian

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:35:26 -0000 someone who may be "Bob Mannix" wrote this:-

No idea and I can't be bothered to look it up to find out how they do it. However, I can tell you that my bins will be collected on the normal day during the week after Easter. Those bins to be collected will be the normal pattern (as it happens it will be the residual waste and garden waste bins).

If other councils are more disorganised then that is for electors to pester their councillors about in that area.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks for that suggestion. The trolley would not work for her. We have something similar. We have tried.

And when I am not around... ?

Reply to
Rod

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:07:25 +0000 someone who may be Rod wrote this:-

So, the complaint is actually about the type of container.

Do you both put into practice the tips outlined in , in particular the tips under the headings of "Reduce" and "Reuse"? If you do there should be very little in your residual waste bin.

Did you feel that the council was wrong in imposing a particular collection day before, when everything went in one bin? Surely people should be able to put bins out on whatever day suits them? A uniformed member of the council staff will then appear within half an hour to remove the bin and salute the poll tax payer in the process.

To be convincing you need to explain how putting things into several bins is more unmanageable than putting the same things into one bin. Are the several bins scattered all over the place so that it is an expedition to get from one to the other?

See my comment above.

That rather depends on the size of the bins. If they are a quarter the size of your existing bin that would be different to if they are all the same size as your existing bin.

produced, as the first hit for me, which offer a variety of bins which may be suitable , and . Other suppliers offer products too.

That assumes that the bins are the same size as your existing bin and are only taken out when full.

Assuming, for ease of discussion, that the current waste can be split equally into four sets. With four bins each a quarter of the size of the current bin then the bins would be taken outside at the same frequency as today. This then has the advantage of flexibility. If the problem is the size/weight of the current bin then one or two buns can be taken out at a time, exchanging one trip with a large/heavy bin for two or four trips with lighter smaller bin(s). If the problem is the number of trips then some of the multi-compartment bins can be taken out together. The number of trips is the same as now and the bin only a bit heavier.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

Bradford appear to have got round the problem at least for most of the time by scheduling collections only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I am not sure what happens when Xmas is inconveniently situated midweek and don't much care. It is a rare month when my wheelie bin* goes out more than once and I cope with missing the odd fortnightly recycled box collection.

*Bradford still has weekly collections for general waste, bizarrely in green wheelie bins. In some parts of the area grey wheelie bins are used for recyclables but where I live recyclable go out in a green plastic box which is collected by a commercial organisation.
Reply to
Roger

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:54:52 +0000 someone who may be Owain wrote this:-

Some recycled glass does indeed go into road surfacings. If it is contaminated glass which cannot be used for other purposes that is fine.

Reply to
David Hansen

Most councils do keep bank holidays though. Ours do.

If you can re write that in English, I might be able to comment.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

So if your collection day was a Monday, you would expect council workers to be working on one of the days that you have off? Such as Easter Monday, Spring Bank Monday, May Day Monday, August Bank holiday Monday and if Christmas day and New years day fell on a Monday, those as well?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You have to ask if she has full use of her legs for starters. And does her partner work nights and gets home after the rubbish collection time.

No, you miss the point once again. His partner is incapable of moving the waste.

I have a similar problem in that I am rarely up when the collection takes place. By council rules, I am not allowed to put the bags out the night before. Why should the council dictate what time I should get out of bed?

Depending on how you live and I don't think this govment has any ruling on this yet, you can live on ready foods that will pack your non reusable bags to perfection. Food containers are not re cyclable

Does the council work for us? Or do we work for the council? i.e. Who pays whose wages?

snip

This is the time to charge councils ground rent for the bins :-) This could get serious though

No it doesn't.

In a very small kitchen, just how can you have 3 other bins to separate the waste? I struggle with one. With four bins each a quarter of the

You are obviously healthy.

Reply to
Dave

Thank you Dave.

We manage. We think that we conform to the recycling rules better than most others in our area. Obviously your need to post Google links overcame you. That they are necessary (in your opinion) clearly demonstrates that the whole process is not simple.

Does she have full use of her legs? No. But how far from 100% varies minute by minute.

Carrying four bins (one at a time) requires twice the walking. If that is the problem...

Carrying any bins requires sufficient strength in hands, arms, shoulders, back and hips - as well as working legs.

Ability to cook a meal also varies.

Why the hell should we have to buy a trolley?

I do not feel the need to explain in detail to you every aspect of the difficulties that we face regarding our rubbish stream. All I was really trying to do was point out that some of us have difficulty in conforming to the new regime. The new regime is not simple. The bins supplied by the council do not work for us - why should we have to buy our own?

I do not believe that you can possibly know or understand partner's difficulties. Unless you are going to offer to help her, just give up.

Reply to
Rod

I gawped at a cable TV programme last night which focused upon scrapping products such as cars and fridges in Newport (S Wales). Amazed me and deeply sceptical that fridges contain about 20kg. of steel (IIRC) however the scrap has a high worldwide value. Develop a mechanism such that folk are given a £1 for a fridge or freezer deposited at a recycling point?

Do what various states in the US did - cents for returning pop bottles. Do what Germany did (or was it Denmark?) in requiring booze to be in refundable bottles only, not plastic or cans? How about we recognise that bottled water is a fashion statement that has an impact upon the planet and make it a requirement that bottled water may only be marketed in glass bottles that have a deposit?

I've seen septa and octagenarians in China fighting over waste plastic bottles in the street (in the middle of Beijing close to Tiananmen Sq) due to the value of waste plastic.

Demolition rubble has a value as crushed material. Develop a mechanism that rewards folk for taking such material to a recycling centre rather than fly tipping?

Reply to
Clot

I have to agree. Fortunately I'm fit and mobile so that I ensure that I take my wastes to the local centres such as Tosca where (until recently) glass colours were kept separate and I didn't have to second guess when the relevant collections would be made.

I have a concern as to where Tosca's collections do go, but their commercial incentive makes me favour their collection sites rather than the LA.

Reply to
Clot

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:53:08 +0000 someone who may be Dave wrote this:-

Then she is unable to do so no matter how many containers it is in.

However, I cannot think of a condition where moving a quarter of the waste (as in my simplified example) is harder then moving all of it, though it will require more trips.

Next.

Reply to
David Hansen

David Hansen (David Hansen ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The example given was quite explicit that she can move the wheelybin but not the boxes.

I can certainly see how that could be the case - SWMBO gets me to shift the boxes, too, because they aren't as easy as tilt-and-dragging the wheely.

However, I don't quite see how she could manage the wheelybin but not a sacktrolley with the recycling on.

Reply to
Adrian

I assure you it is the case. I cannot explain why - nor can the dozen or so consultants...

Reply to
Rod

Rod (Rod ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's easy to explain. She's female. Putting the bins out is therefore your job, and she's buggered if she's going to do it...

Reply to
Adrian