Waste Disposal - Get a Camera and a Receipt

Just saw our local rag:

"MOTORISTS seen carrying rubbish face a fine if they can't later prove they disposed of it legally."

It is so totally bloomin' ridiculous. (Not sympathy with real fly-tippers.) The only things I can think to do in order to prevent myself wrongly getting done are a) photograph me, my car, my rubbish and b) get a receipt from the dump. None of which should be necessary.

Any other councils threatening you/us?

Anyone know the true legal position?

Reply to
Rod

It

Ah. Abfallpolizei.

They've had these in Switzerland for years. They go through people's rubbish to identify who it was who put out the bag 300 microseconds before the legal collection time window.

The solution is to identify who is perpetrating this bollocks and to arrange immediate dismissal for gross misconduct.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think Bliar has already moved on and is getting into position to inflict more top-down Orwellies (C) upon us from high up on his presidential throne.

Reply to
dave

It says its a proposal, not whats happening. As the law stands the burden of proof lies with the prosecution in theory - what happens in practice is another matter, but pointing this out sometimes works.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's what we did, and drove back to the church, had a thanksgiving

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:34:18 +0000 someone who may be Rod wrote this:-

Careful reading of the article hints that it is those transferring (business) waste, rather than the general public, who are affected; but journalists never let the truth get in the way of a good story so the impression given in the article is that it applies to everyone.

Look up "waste transfer note" in a search engine.

Reply to
David Hansen

It is unlikely to apply to a householder with 5 black bin liners and an old bike in a car, true, but is very likely to apply to a householder with a trailer full of rubble, demolished shed, removed hedge or whatever.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Rod" wrote

I guess if you sheet over the trailer or whatever, no-one will see that it's rubbish - problem solved?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The earnests will pull you over and demand to see under the sheet.

It's happened here already in an area suffering from a lot of fly tipping.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

And most waste transfer sites have CCTV so the council can go and look at that to find if you did attend the dump with your junk. For a general rule I can't see it being cost effective but for areas that suffer regular and persistent flytipping I can see it being a useful tool.

But of course the media blow it up out of proportion, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. But there is a problem with small scale "commercial" waste producers not being allowed to use most waste transfer sites without having a waste transport licence *and* permit to use the dump, both of which have fees associated with them. The system is too complicated.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Derek Geldard" wrote

Now that is scary! Who are "the earnests" and do they have stop-and-search authority?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Bob Mannix ("Bob Mannix" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Unfortunately, since this is Bucks council that's being referred to, it's really not that simple...

The Bucks council tips near me refuse point blank to let me in with a 2cv van. "It's a commercial vehicle, innit, you need to have a commercial waste permit and pay commercial waste rates".

So I borrowed a small box trailer from a neighbour once. I got a bollocking for that, too - "You need a permit, I'm going to have to take your name and address".

It's no bloody wonder there's fly-tipping with that kind of jobsworth silliness going on.

Reply to
Adrian

Does policing the fly tipping cost more than the fines we'll get when the EU stamp on us for landfill?

Reply to
mogga

(Fat Tony and his henchmen are taking a rolled-up carpet with a pair of legs sticking out to the lake.) Chief Wiggum: Sorry, sorry, no dumping in the lake! Fat Tony: Fine, I will put my "yard trimmings" in a car compactor. (FT and co walk off) Lou: Uh, Chief, I think there was a dead body in there. CW: I thought that too, until he said "yard trimmings". You gotta learn to listen, Lou.

Reply to
PM

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:07:32 -0000 someone who may be "Bob Mannix" wrote this:-

Then they should ask their councillor [1] what they are going to do about it.

[1] Councillors in Scotland (and ISTR Northern Ireland).
Reply to
David Hansen

ISTR LA's (or more strictly, "waste regulation authorities") got the power to stop, search and seize any vehicle they suspect might be used for fly-tipping, as a one liner in the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. They also got the power to obtain information (e.g. phone tap, intercept mail, etc) for this purpose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is a road near here which has a wooded bank on one side and allotments the other. This used to be the fly-tippers heaven, never would there be a day without the corpse of a matress or a dead appliance on the bank or even the pavement. A few years ago it got really bad you could drive down the road in the morning and by the evening someone might have dumped a truck load of rubble on the roadway (it was not a very busy road).

My guess is that the CCTV was slow in coming as a borough boundary runs down the middle of the road, (LB Haringey v. LB Barnet). Eventually a camera was installed in Barnet looking at the wooded bank in Haringey. Fly tipping stopped within days.

It has now begun again this time on the other side of the road.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I think the aim here is to target commercial fly tipping I.e. Vans and lorries, and you are just over reacting.

business and commercial waste is not allowed in most household waste sites, private vans have to report to the site office have the registration number recorded. All business and commercial waste is charged by weight and you automatically get a dated receipt This is in East Sussex were fly tipping is a real problem on rural roads.

-
Reply to
Mark

Ed Sirett (Ed Sirett ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Humph. I can beat that. A few years ago I drove up a lane to a business unit, left some stuff with 'em - then ten minutes later couldn't drive OUT of the lane, because it was completely blocked - bank-to-bank - with fly-tipped crap to about 3ft deep.

Reply to
Adrian

.. as well as being bullshit in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Hall