Wasps' nest, what to do about it

It's good to discuss. When EVERYTHING has been discussed and archived do you suggest people simply stop communicating?

Reply to
R D S

B&Q used to sell the spray can wasp killer under the brand name of "RAID". It was about £8 a go and sprayed a thin jet roughly 10ft at fairly high pressure. Wasps are extremely aggressive and they keep coming back for more. Bees are not that bad in comparison, they only sting once so tend to be more reserved. Just don't mess about with a hornets nest or they will really go for you. In some cases you can get that many stings that you will go in to anaphylactic shock. Once you get a sting and the wasps, bees or hornets think they are in danger they will send out a strong pheromone to call their mates in to join the attack. You really do have to plan your escape route as you can end up covered in wasps and in real danger.

I had to take a floorboard up to get at a hornets nest, once the high pressure spray went in it blew the nest apart. I have never put a floorboard down so fast, the hornets from was terrible. They were so angry they went outside and covered part of the wall and window.

The local council will remove a nest for a small fee. They will be happy to explain the procedure and it can be found on any search engine. Just don't tell experts how to do their job or they might throw you the nest on the way out.

Reply to
brian

Brian I'm only going to say this once, because after that you'll be in my killfile, and there'll be no point. You're an idiot. You have no idea who I am, what I do, what I'm capable of, what I'm not, yet you happily spew forth with your insulting comments. Good for you. Well done.

The purpose of a newsgroup is to allow discussion. That's what I want. Assuming that I haven't already read the archives and done an extensive search on the subject is your failure not mine.

Reply to
Grunff

Having hosed a couple with the tins myself (only when really necessary, Mary!) I would be perfectly happy to do this from a ladder even in the daytime. They really don't recognise where the attack is coming from. And doing it early or late means there's no risk at all.

Reply to
Newshound

Angle Grinder :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A large lump of car body filler :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I would agree with all of this, except from what I have read of Grunff's case it would better to omit step 5.

Kind regards to all,

Neety Neety Noo

xx

Reply to
Anita Palley

155,000 articles say, in this case, it is.
soup

Caustic soda

Reply to
Andy Hall

I agree. I've done this quite successfully with quite a large nest in a some ivy in the garden.

I don't remember the product name but it was from one of the DIY sheds, aerosol and foam.

I did the dressing up bit and found that the jet from the can reached a good 3m (this was mentioned on the can). I was easily able to totally cover the nest with foam in a very few seconds and only one or two wasps escaped. The nest disintegrated. A few more returned later but then disappeared off.

I would certainly try to find a way that does not involve the use of a ladder.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mornington crescent!

Reply to
John Rumm

I was just thinking of TNP remedies really.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I realise that, but I thought you had done them all ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No idea. I think we bought it at Countrywide, and (afair) they have a retail store at Ross. Anything with the magic word Tetramethrin on the can should work the same though.

BTW: If you go to Countrywide have a look at their stock of Dickies work trousers. Strongly made, even have pockets in the knees for kneeling pads, and only £10 a pair.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Thanks all, I will attack it with Big D, Nippon and foam. If this still doesn't work, I will use an angle grnder to cut it in half, then isopon it.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Phil, I'll add it to my arsenal.

Reply to
Grunff

"Grunff" wrote

Grunff

Try B & Q wasps nest destroyer. Make sure you are well covered. Apply late at night when activity has stopped. The good thing with this stuff is that you can stand some distance away. It can discolour paintwork though so a couple of cans and a practice shot or two is worthwhile. May take repeated treatments, but I've used it to good effect.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Reply to
Huge

What he said....

IME, any old insecticide will do, although "Wasp Killers" tend to have a stream rather than a spray output. Treat the nest in the evening when the wasps are inside for the night and I doubt you'll see another one.

Reply to
Huge

Avoid casting a shadow on a wasp nest, (or beehive).

Reply to
Tony Williams