Wasps nest in our loft

Close the window.

Kill the kid.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hang on, you attacked it first by trying to crush it between your trousers and thigh. It retaliated in the only way it could by stinging, indeed that tactic worked (for a while).

BTW I don't blame you for killing that one but the wanton destruction of a whole nest this late in the season is just silly. A few weeks time an it'll be dead. And how come this nest has only just become a "problem" it'll have been there since late spring...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In your opinion !!.

2 weeks ago, we killed 8 in one day that had found their way into our house.

My wife was also stung resulting in her arm swelling to twice it's normal size due to an allergic reaction !.

She has MS, so could have done without any additional problems with her health !.

A few weeks

Ok, so you're suggesting we have to remain indoors for the next few weeks, while these F*****s come and go as they please ?.

Until then we can't open our back door/patio door or venture into the garden ?.

And how come this nest has only just become a

What are you suggesting, that every late spring we should spend some time hunting for wasps nests in order to ensure we find the "problem" as early as possible?.

Anyway, don't wasps become more aggravated towards the end of their lives, thus becoming more likely to attack ??.

woodglass

Reply to
news.blueyonder.co.uk

To what extent was this caused by attempted swatting of wasps that made one retaliate? Be honest.

Reply to
John Cartmell

None, she was lying in bed reading & was totally unaware the wasp was there until it stung her !

Reply to
johnnybegood

Maybe she was turning the pages too quickly and the wasp was losing his place :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes.

Not opinion, fact.

That's a local reaction, not an allergy.

They're not capable of mating.

Of course you can. If you dispose of one nest there will still be very many flying insects around. Many will be wasps from other nests.

It wasn't a problem until now - at least, you didn't notice the wasps so didn't perceive it as a problem.

No. That's men.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have you any means of qualifying this statement ?

Thanks for the compliment !.

So, It's 'Doctor Mary Fisher' then is it ?

I think my wife & I would prefer to believe her doctor rather than yourself !

And who implied they were ???

All making their way towards our house in particular - don't think so !.

Your house must be like some kind of zoo if you have never killed any insect/beast etc. that happened to wander into it through an open door/window, but simply cohabitated with them !

Perception is purely that - it doesn't mean that it wasn't a problem until now !!

Reply to
johnnybegood

Didn't think about that ! :-)

woodglass

Reply to
johnnybegood

Ok, I wasn't forced to kill them.

As a child, maybe 8 or 9 years old and playing in my Aunt's garden with my cousin, she stumbled into a nest made in a thrown out bread bin. My cousin was stung repeatedly as the by now pissed wasps defended the nest (all right and proper). I can see her now screaming and covered in wasps, she was lucky to live and it has affeced me deeply ever since, I cannot bear to be in the same room as a wasp, in fact I have severe panic attacks if one comes near me.

I don't enjoy killing them Mary. You would have to experience the panic I feel to understand. Regards, Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff

Something very similar happened to my husband when he was the same age. He handles wasps with no fear.

Have you tried aversion therapy? I'm serious.

I've been covered in honey bees - and stung by them so badly that my companion took me to hospital because I displayed a (true) allergic reaction.

I don't mind them, I don't want to kill them.

I've been very badly bitten by a dog. I don't like dogs (never did) but I don't want to kill them.

I've been VERY badly stung by wasps when I mishandled digging out a nest but I don't want to kill them.

I've been in a very bad motor car accident where my passenger and I were hospitalised and the other driver was killed. I still drive (before you think the obvious, the other driver went through a red light).

I've never had aversion therapy but I've thought very carefully about things in a rational manner.

See your doctor.

Killing all the wasps you can see and all the nests you can find will NOT rid you of wasps, it will, though, make you more likely to be stung.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't mean aversion therapy, it's ... that other one ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, that's the one :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

WASN'T IT JUST A LOCAL REACTION???

Reply to
woodglass

Attempting, and failing, to kill something is likely to produce a reaction. Leaving it alone isn't. Without 100% immediate kill rate (unlikely) the best default action is to leave alone.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Are you under the influence of recreational drugs by any chance ???.

Reply to
woodglass

No, you're both wrong :-)

It's actually rewind therapy and usually available from "human givens" therapists. It's reputedly very effective on "post traumatic" stress and "nightmares".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you suggesting that a policy of Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus is somehow unsound?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Oh.

I bow to your greater experience :-)

Never felt the need - never had either and I'm not frightened of anything.

Might be a bit suspicious of a human given therapist ... whatever that is.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, I usually have a local reaction where I swell and itch for days but this was a general one where I didn't swell but was sweating, covered in hives (look it up), was vomiting and voiding and without treatment would have passed out. You might have heard it referred to as Anaphylaxis

Local reactions react to such things as piriton, anti histames. General reactions need an injection of adreniline.

Of course it's not as simple as that, in fact it's very complicated, but allergies can kill, local reactions can't, they're just very uncomfortable.

Because you'll be in closer contact to them and they will be more likely to defend themselves. Just ignore them. You get the odd sting? So what? If it's the worst thing which ever happens to you you'll be very lucky.

Over and out.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher