washing up liquids

Her tactic is working... you feel the need to wash up to save money ;)

Reply to
Richard

ARW put finger to keyboard:

Dunno about cheaper, but definitely, absolutely and irrefutably *not* cleaner.

Reply to
Scion

Jim Hawkins put finger to keyboard:

No - you're meant to add them to water.

HTH, HAND etc.

Reply to
Scion

On Tuesday 03 December 2013 11:35 Scion wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You must have experienced some cheap and nasty dishwashers...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Alternatively, just one with two drawers that work independently as half-sized dishwashers if you don't have an enormous kitchen.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim Watts put finger to keyboard:

Yes...but I'm also very fussy about my washing up. Scrub off food with brush under running water, *then* hot water/washing up liquid in the bowl, rinse off with hot water, dry with a clean towel.

OCD? Probably not, I only do it the once. But it's clean enough that I can say with confidence a dishwasher would not get it any cleaner.

Reply to
Scion

In article , Jim Hawkins writes

That's daft. Just keep adding dirty stuff to the machine, when you can't get any more in, that's the time to run it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

We just rinse off the majority of remaining food under the tap (only for those items with larghe lumps stuck on) and into the waste disposal and then stick them in the dishwasher

You are right that sometimes a dishwasher will leave some burnt or stuck on residue, however that's easy to spot as you are taking them out and you leave that item in for the next wash; give it a quick scrape and put it back; or hand clean that item.

What comes out of the dishwasher will be biologically cleaner than handwashing, as the water temperature is higher than your hands can stand and can kill off more bugs.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

SteveW put finger to keyboard:

I'm not arguing that using a dishwasher can be more convenient, although they would be even better if you didn't need to rinse first.

That's not exactly convenient. If I had a dishwasher I'd want to be able to trust it!

Presumably if you do a load every three or four days it makes the washer's job harder as the residue has had time to dry.

So, the stuck-on residue left by the dishwasher is sterile then :-)

Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that a dishwasher can't get dishes any cleaner than I can by hand.

Reply to
Scion

Scion put finger to keyboard:

*can't* be more convenient
Reply to
Scion

Angle grinder ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on your definition of cleaner - the dishwasher output will probably contain far fewer bacteria.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh that's a good idea .. and then weld the oven tray back together before using it again? :-)

Reply to
mogga

+1
Reply to
ARW

As soon as you add the drying towel you fail. Draining boards are better than towels.

Reply to
ARW

Your cleaning routine sounds very 'japanese'

Some filthy bastards fill up a dishwasher over a few days before turning it on, the food waste encrusted on the plates gradually rotting away.

Reply to
The Other Mike

FFS in little more than the time it took for you to write that post I could have washed the glassware, cutlery, crockery, pans and oven trays for a meal for four.

Also by using a washing up bowl there is no bending down to fill and empty the dishwasher.

Reply to
The Other Mike

ARW put finger to keyboard:

Not if you don't want to leave water marks. (Although using rinse aid in manual washing up is an option.) A few bugs won't harm anyone with a normal immune system - after all, after loading the dishwasher and washing your hands you'll dry them on a towel, right?

Reply to
Scion

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

Almost certainly. But a normal amount of bacteria is not a problem to me whereas visible residue left on glasses/plates/cutlery is.

Reply to
Scion

The Other Mike put finger to keyboard:

The people I know who use dishwashers always seem to have to wash the really grotty stuff - pots and pans, roasting tins, baking trays - by hand anyway.

Reply to
Scion