Washing machine won't end spin-only cycle

Hi all slightly different from the more usual 'washing machine won't spin' threads...

We have a Zanussi Aqua Cycle FR1450 Washing machine, probably 5--8 years old. I have been informed of a recent fault... if the machine is set to a normal wash cycle, with a 900rpm spin (the maximum speed for this programme), then all is well.

If however, at the end of that, a spin only cycle (of 1200rpm, as it happens) is selected, then ... the machine never stops spinning. We have to turn the machine off to stop it.

Any pointers? I am going to do a few experiments with speed of spin etc. but a clue or two as to what to look out for would be great.

Thanks jon N

Reply to
jkn

There are two types of event in any automatic washing machine.

(1) Signaled events, eg heating, where a signal (from the thermostat in this case) stops the event and impulses the timer through to the next event

(2) Timed events, where the event stops after a set time and the next event starts. The timer is in the program switch

Spinning is a timed event so the likely problem lies in the program switch.

Reply to
harryagain

its either controller or a relay sticking.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , harryagain writes

Upon a time yes, but I wonder if that it's true that it's always a timed event nowadays? It would be possible for machines to say monitor how much water is being produced from the spinning clothes and stop once a certain level of dryness was reached (no idea if this does happen, just thinking that maybe one shouldn't assume)

A quick google suggests that this machine has electronic controls(all buttons, no knobs, no mechanical timer), so probably nothing to be done on the timer side of things. Maybe a relay or something is sticking on and keeping the motor spinning?

Reply to
Chris French

Some machines seem to be able to adjust the times of events according to some unknown parameter, probably load or somesuch, and I've noticed on mine, which is a panasonic that some quite long spin cycles can be generated. I wonder if the problem one does this and its this that is not functioning making the time infinite? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ours claims to do just that, but it is an Ecobollox ? machine :)

Reply to
Lee

I'd still be tempted to check the brushes and clean any carbon dust, it seems to be a recurrent theme with washing machines...

Reply to
Lee