Washing machine woes (2)

I also noticed that the rubber jobbie that seals the drum to the front of the machine has black patches and niffs somewhat, as in mouldy. My attempts to remove that blackening with old Dettol appear to be unavailing. Anyone recommend a suitable mould removing product for the purpose?

Reply to
Tim Streater

bleach is pretty good

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem is the mould will return. A bit of a PITA but the only way, once you get it clean, is wipe well with kitchen paper after using the machine, making certain that is is dry. As regards mould removal I find that HG mould remover is great. Mind I do not know if it would attack the "rubber jobbie", a trial bit might be worthwhile.

Reply to
Broadback

I discovered this on our old washing machine. "Stardrops" and one of those foam pan scrubs got the mould off, but the seal was stained forever. This machine is about 18 months old and the seal is clean. Occasionally I rub washing up liquid on it and set it on a quick wash.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1, but be aware it will require bleach left on overnight, maybe several times

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Then do a boil wash once a week or fortnight (towells). I do and generally seem to avoid mould problems.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This stuff is the mutt's nuts;

David Lang

Thanks, Our Dave. On the shopping list.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Our washing machine is never stationary for long enough to allow mould to grow.

Reply to
Capitol

There might be drain holes in the door seal blocked. If blocked, holds back smelly water. If not, best thing is to dry out the door seal and leave the door open between washes.

Reply to
harry

Isn't it just dilute bleach?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Described as Sodium Hypochlorite less than 5% @ 10 GBP per litre

Sodium Hypochlorite 15% (Liquid Chlorine) sold on ebay for swimming pools at 1.30 to 1.50 GBP per litre

Reply to
alan_m

Tim Streater scribbled

Boil wash with soda crystals, Tesco £1 a bag, will stop the stink and remove all the gunk in the system.

Reply to
Jonno

+1 This is what I do every couple of months. 99% of my other washes use cold water with no heating and Aldi/Lidl own brand liquid detergent that are effective with cold water.
Reply to
alan_m

But be sure its safe on the materials yu are using it on, including your skin!

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Not quite sure where they could drain to as the seal is between the drum outer and the machine body. Any hole is to the outside world...

+1 don't create an enviroment that mould will like to grow in. SWMBO'd seems to have cottoned onto this having had it explained. After complaining the seal was all black and smelly and demanding a new machine...

A boil wash every so often will also help in keeping the rest of the machine clean. Low temp washes are all well and good but they don't kill anything.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then do a boil wash once a week or fortnight (towells). I do and generally seem to avoid mould problems.

Or buy a new one, that's what my in-laws (on benefits) do.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman