Washing machine - white streaks

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

Reply to
geoff

You are going to hate me for asking but... ...is the drum actually rotating?

Reply to
Graham.

give the soap dispenser a good clean and then change over to a liguid detergent for a while. I have also seen suggestions that a max temp long duration wash helps flush out nasties once in a while.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Graham. writes

Yes, it's doing what it should

it's just leaving white streaks on some garments, which I presume is detergent carrier or something (or calgon crap)

Reply to
geoff

done that today

will do

just finished an empty, high temp max cycle

cheers

Reply to
geoff

Mobile phone residue :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , geoff writes

what does it smell of? what texture? Are the items with the streaks washed at a lower temperature? Are the dispensers gungy?

It's probably undissolved powder so running it through with some pre-mixed washing solution & washing soda at max temperature on Cotton wash should fix it. & yes, clean out the dispensers if necessary.

Is it failing to heat the water sufficiently in the cold weather perhaps?

Reply to
Si

I missed that one :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I wondered who was going to be the first with that reply after I sent it

of course, that happened 10 years ago - sympathetic delayed reaction ?

10 years ago in a different machine
Reply to
geoff

In message , Si writes

Done the above (not with washing soda) so we'll see how the next wash goes

cheers everyone

Reply to
geoff

We have similar problems especially since starting to use low temp washes. The other thing to look at is inside the seal, we regularly have to clean this out, peeling it right back to wipe the edge of the drum. A regular boil wash really helps as well.

Reply to
Tim Decker

Graham.

She is overloading it and not reading the instructions! The temperature setting is wrong so the powder isn't dissolving properly. Use the liquid instead.

Reply to
john