Washing Machine Waste Revisited

Hi All

Further to my post about SWIMBO stinking out the kitchen with fishy smells from the dishwasher coming up the sink waste......

Removed an old washing machine the other day and installed a new one for a customer, simple enough job.

She asked me to make sure the waste was connected properly, which it was, again into the sink waste above the trap.

Apparently they had been painting & washed the brushes out in white spirit, which they had then emptied down the sink. The white spirit contaminated the load in the machine.

Took me a while to figure out a possible reason. I reckon that because the white spirit was much less dense than the water in the trap (SG of 0.78) instead of displacing the water in the bend, it floated on top, thus reaching the inlet from the machine and flowing down the pipe.

Must have been a large amount of white spirit, but does this sound feasible?

Yes - I did tell her you are not supposed to dispose of white spirit down the sink!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Apart from anything else, it'll dissolve the rubber in the waste fittings. I know - I've fixed the leaks!

Reply to
Guy King