washing machine waste pipe

hi just a quick one

while my kitchens in a mess is it possible to use my washing machine in the bathroom and put the waste pipe in the bath or sink?

this would just be a one off, so is it ok ?

thanks

Reply to
benpost

If it wasn't plumbed in in the kitchen would you use the sink for the waste pipe?

Sheeesh!

Reply to
George

Yes but Better to put it in the bath. The water comes out in a rush at first and might overwhelm a sink outlet especially if it is a bit clogged, as most are. Make sure that you tie the pipe onto a tap or bath handle. There is a strong reaction force which, if the pipe is loose, will make your bathroom look like a scene from Laurel and Hardy with a hosepipe.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Do you really believe that most sink (wash basin) outlets are a bit clogged?

Not had a problem in 35 years of house ownership.

Reply to
John

thanks for the response. i was going to try it then realised i needed a cold water input... so i checked the bathroom and thought i could use the shower cold mains water supply but i found the pipes are smaller in the bathroom. i have just had a quick clean and put the washer in the kitchen temporarily back how it was.

Reply to
benpost

Yep. hhang it over the toilet is better

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I imagine the curve of our bathroom sink combined with fast water would create as much mess as the effect of the sink being blocked. Using the bath is sensible advice.

Reply to
Mogga

Don't allow the washing machine detergent to linger in the bath. It's quite powerful stuff and might damage a number of bath surfaces. (Many hand-wash detergents warn you not to use them in enamelled baths, as they damage the enamel surface).

When I had a kitchen in bits, I had the dishwasher discharging into the kitchen sink, a side effect of which was I never needed to clean the kitchen sink -- the hot dishwasher discharge kept the kitchen sink looking wounderful by itself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel