Washing machine upstairs

Has anyone got their washing machine upstairs? If so what's it like from a noise POV?

The living room is directly below, the beams between are about 10x6 inch and spaced at about 18 inches.

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
R D S

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:25:54 +0100, "R D S" mused:

Depends how noisy the washing machine is, a noisy one will make more noise than one which is quiter. YMMV

Reply to
Lurch

My parents have had their washing machine upstairs for decades. When they switched to a modern one up there ~25 years ago, my dad was leaning on one of the house supporting walls when it started spinning, and somewhat alarmed at the vibration, the machine has been set to a slow spin ever since. (It is a Zanussi, which makes absolutely no effort whatsoever to distribute the contents evenly around the drum before spinning.) Other than that, it's been no problem. Every 10-15 years, whatever machine they've had up there has leaked, and that's been the impetus to redecorate the room underneath (bathroom).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My upstairs neighbour has her washing machine upstairs from me.

My oven shelves rattle when her machine does a fast spin.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Andrew Gabriel wrote: >

My son's house has the washer and dryer in a cupboard in the upstairs hall near the bedrooms. The washer sits in a waterproof tray, 2 or 3 inches deep, so that if there's a leak, it's less likely to make a major mess.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Buy a Miele. There is a float switch which disables water inlet and much of the rest of the machine apart from the pump if there is a leak. However.... getting one upstairs could be challenging.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yeah - best to pre-book the hernia clinic. And check the stair loading. It was all I could do to walk mine along the carpeted floor single handed, 3" at a time. To put it in context, I had no difficulty getting the old Zanussi out and into the garage for subsequent disposal.

The two burly blokes who delivered it commented on the difficulty of lifting it all of 9" up over the doorstep.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I removed the concrete weights from the drum, and then I could lift the washing machine, any remaining difficulty being due to size/shape, not weight. Reattach weights at destination.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't. For years the flat above mine had a washing machine. I lost count of the number of leaks; the worst case flooded not only my flat but the basement three floors below. And then there's the noise, and the cracked ceiling... The idiot who installed it found it so much trouble to get up the stairs rather than take it out he left it behind when he moved.

Reply to
djc

There's the thing, I have never had a washing machine leak, but I just know that if it goes upstairs...

The reason I want it upstairs is that our kitchen is ridiculously small (the bathroom is much bigger) and the layout is such that the washer will realistically only go in a corner, meaning I can only use worktop along 2 walls and would prefer 3.

Reply to
R D S

Sounds like a good enough reason to put it upstairs. I had a machine upstairs for a while, and it was fine, although there is a bit more noise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

That's a good idea and I think it would be the only sensible way to shift a Miele over any difficult route (they have cast iron weights instead of concrete precisely to allow them to be heavier).

Depending on the floor's condition (upstairs or downstairs), if it were a suspended type, I would consider sitting the machine on a sheet of thick ply too, just to spread the load a bit.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I have ours right above my office in the bathroom of the flat above our shop.

It's only the spin cycle that goes off on one. Operation it's self is un detectable It is a Mele with one of them silent commercial motors, so it's silent even when your sat right next to it, but 1600 spin does make the pipes rattle somewhat!

:¬)

Pete

--

- LifeFitness equipment 12.5% off (Quote "PW12.5")

Reply to
gymratz