Washing Machine trips RCB on fast spin

On reaching the fastest point of the final spin this Creda (which is 2

-3 years old) trips the RCD - but not every time. Any ideas?

Regards,

Brian

Reply to
wb

Could be an insulation fault - only full power leaking enough to trip. Maybe the high speed is flinging water somewhere it doesn't normally get to. This might explain the 'sometimes'. I'd take the lid/back off after it trips and look for water where it shouldn't be.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Top speed on mine uses a different connector on the motor and different drive triac on the control board.

might explain the

shouldn't be.

Cable vibration against metalwork which has worn through the insulation is another possibility. Check the cable loom, particularly the parts which flex when the drum vibrates.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

to. This might explain the

where it shouldn't be.

I just finally got round to fixing our Zanussi washer dryer that had been doing this for a LONG time.

I'd certainly agree with the "flinging water" theory.

My machine has a 2-part plastic tub (the bit that the drum sits inside of) and this is joined all the way round with lots of screws and a big foamy rubber seal. There was a slight leak at this join that was spraying water a bit at high speed, especially with bigger loads when it vibrated more. Seems it was getting in the motor or similar and tripping the RCD.

I had to take the machine almost completely to pieces to get the tub out, split it and replace the seal. Took most of a day to do but at least gave a bit of satisfaction for a repair that wouldn't have been economic for a "professional" to do.

Good luck!

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Carbon dust from the brushes shorting some current to ground throug the motor casing. New motor or a good internal clean required

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

Plenty to be going on with there. Many thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
wb

I've had that. You may have to look hard - I had a spiky solder joint on a capacitor strapped to the wiring loom. When the machine was off it was a good couple of cms from the case.

Look for pin-prick burns on the inside of the case to try to identify where it is.

Reply to
Nick Atty