Washing machine timer grease

Does anyone know what the "special" grease used on cam disc of a Hoover Keymatic washing machine timer is?

Reply to
John B

Electrical stuff like switches usually uses Silicone grease for its insulation properties, though for this application there are no contacts near the cams so car grease would probably do.

john2

Reply to
john2

Are you resroring this as a musium piece, or (dare I ask), is this machine still in use?

Reply to
Graham.

The machine is in regular use, it was built to last! The timer is dismantled for repair at the moment.

Reply to
John B

And why not. 1970s?

I've not seen the mechas on those from the inside, but as someone else said if its non-electrical then any grease will do. If theres electrics there, use only petroleum grease. Other greases become corrosive when electricity is applied.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , John B writes

If it's 'just' a cam with no electrical contacts to be lubricated, the search CPC.co.uk for plastic grease, used on videos and is available in small quantities

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Mine is also in use since circa 1993, but the timing is getting erratic due to wear on the cams. Sometimes filling up and pumping out overlap a bit.

john2

Reply to
john2

The machine is a 1975 Keymatic, and is in almost daily use, it's predecessor, a 1962 Keymatic, I still have.

The switch levers in contact with the grease are "live", I have tried clear silicone grease in the past but it creeps and contaminates the switch contacts. The original grease is a white dry lubricant/paste, I have never been able to find anything like it. I thought of trying some white PTFE spray grease, or a compound containing molybdenum, but dont know if these are suitable for electrical contact?

Reply to
John B

If you could post a well lit detailed pic, that would help. Awkward cases will often have some workaround that involves a minor mod and solves the problem.

I wouldnt use anything but petroleum on live electrics. You can thicken it up with zinc oxide powder, but of course that wont raise its mp any.

Didnt know keymatics went as far back as 62.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds a bit like the Finish Line grease used in bicycle wheel bearings. It's a synthetic grease packed with micron teflon particles. I've used it on a number of things quite successfully, having bought a large tub which would outlast my bicycle use by a few lifetimes. (I've subsequently seen it in small tubes;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've taken a couple of good pics, but not sure how to post them? the help says something about sending them to your group's e-mail address?

Keymatic came out in 1961 model 3224.

Reply to
John B

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

I remember neighbours having one in 65. Great machine it was - and solidly made.

Reply to
Guy King

Not sure what thats about, as usenet is text only. You can put them on free site space, eg photobucket.

NT

Reply to
meow2222