Washing machine smells

We have a Zanussi washing machine that's about 3 years old, but it smells. I have tried doing a boil wash with vinegar and Bicarb to get rid of the smell but its still there.

Any other methods recommended?

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

poor boiling water in through the powder tray/draw, it's likely coming from the residue left in the tray or intake from the tray

that's what cured ours

Reply to
SoWeezy

Cheers I will give that a try.

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

coming

Frequently you get a build up of crud in the folds of the door seal rubber gasket - you'll be suprised what you find in there !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks but I have cleaned that already, that solved the problem a few months ago but it has returned.

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

We had the same problem with our Bosch. Cured it by doing several hot washes using soda crystals, and then also using washing maching descaling sachets. The key to keeping the smell away is to do hot washes occasionally!

Reply to
Gavin

Phil Anthropist

Thanks I'll go and get some soda crystals then.

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

the smell is coming from colonies of faecal and other bacteria which are caught up in the limescale in the machine :(

descale it a few times by using a proprietary descaler but switch the machine off before it drains and spins. leave it sit for a while, overnight is ideal. then do a hot wash with some bleach poured in the drum. again, switch it off before it drains and leave it sit.

rinse the machine out with a couple of empty hot washes

disclaimer: I've done the above with a s/h washing machine I bought some years ago and I used double the recommended dose of descaler. the washer wasn't damaged in the process. if anything goes wrong with yours it's not my fault :)

Reply to
.