Washing Machine, small black rubbery bits in dispenser drawer

Hi Everyone

I hope you can help me. I have a Zanussi washing machine, about 3/4 years old. When you take the soap dispenser drawer out, at the look up (into the machine) the water inlet holes are covered in a black rubbery like substance. This also extends to the back and works its way into the drawer, which needs constant cleaning. Sometimes the machine is unable to take in the softner (I think the holes above it may block from time to time). I only use the minimum of soap powder. Any ideas as to what this black substance is, and more importantly how do I get rid of it? Joan

Reply to
Joan

In our old machine we used to get powder deposits combing with the hard water causing blockages. These took the form of a googy sludge in various colours which would eventually block the powder drawer, pipework and the level/pressure thingy and cause the machine to overfill. Do these deposits go mouldy, or turn black in the damp environment?

When we switched to tablets which go into the drum in a net bag the problem diminished.

We've since moved house, and bought a new washing machine which is fed through a water softener. The new machine shows no signs of deposits anywhere.

Reply to
Doctor D

I should have added I used to get rid of all the muck by stripping the machine and washing everything with very hot water and a bottle brush.

Reply to
Doctor D

brush.

Reply to