Washing Machine Problem

We have a Hotpoint WMT03 washing machine (approx 4 yrs old) which has recently started to throw back water via the powder and water inlet tray when on a faster spin. Having said all this it seems to only do it on occasions and not all the time.

As far as I can tell there are no blockages in any of the pipes. Water is being pumped out into the waste ok and water enters the drum without any problems.

Has anybody any idea what could be causing this?

Since January we have been living in a hard water area and did not use anything like calgon to start with. We are now using this to try and prevent any limescale build up, I don't know if this has a bearing on things.

I'm sure it's a minor problem and didn't want to go to the expense of a new machine if I could avoid it.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as our utility room resembles the local swimming baths at present.

Ray

Reply to
Ray L

Can you see if the water level is higher than it used to be? Might be a dodgy level sensor.

Calgon has been discussed a lot and I think it was generally thought to be a waste of money. Hard water might fur up the element, but that's the only effect we've seen, and we live in a hard water area. Cost of a new element is less than a load of Calgon!

Oh, and we've not changed the element (or anything hard water related) in 11 years of owning a hard-worked Hotpoint. One set of bearings, one set of brushes, a cable tie and a door seal!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you *sure* there's no blockages? Mines got a, I dunno, a chamber I guess, with a floating valve in it. They gut partially blocked with something, and caused *exactly* the problem you described.

Mine be worth spending an hour tipping the machine over, taking the pump out, and checking both that and anything else you can see leading from the bottom of the drum.

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul Boakes

Before tipping the machine over, pop down to Halfords and buy the Haynes Guide to washing machine repair. Have a look in the chapter about pressure valves. Alternatively buy a packet of washing machine descaler / cleaner and run it on a boil wash.

Reply to
James Salisbury

Thanks for your constructive replies everyone. I'll take the points on board and give your suggestions a go. Fingers crossed........

Ray

Reply to
Ray L

Hi, I recently had a similar problem from the soap power dispenser tray. At the back of the tray there were 3 or 4 small rubber pipes going into the washing machine. One of the connections was unused as it was only there if the machine was a washer dryer. There was a small hole in the connection so the hotpoint engineer put a screw in it and sealed it! No leaks so far. Hope this helps.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groups x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Katharine Howard