Washing machine outlet into soilpipe?

I'm plumbing in a washing machine in the entrance hall of our house. The waste water outlet can only go into the nearby toilet. Question - is it ok to allow the waste to go into the soil pipe and, if so, should I need to attach with a trap (U-bend)? I worry a bit about nasty smells getting into the washing machine!

Reply to
Pete L

Yes if done properly. The connection should be made to the soil pipe using a collar as far from the toilet as possible - 300mm or more is good.

Yes you do. There are special ones specifically for WM/Cs with a vertical pipe on the inlet side into which the drain hose hooks.

You wouldn't want that. Equally, the scents of some of the cleaning products are pretty nasty.

Reply to
Andy Hall