Washing machine not emptying completely

My daughter's Indesit washing machine appears to spin and empty ok during the cycle but leaves clothes very soggy, and some water in the tub, at the end of the cycle. Water is pumped out at what seems to be quite a reasonable rate so we're tending to discount a blockage.

The problem has appeared only recently.

Anyone got any ideas on what might be the cause?

TIA

Get the Haynes washing machine manual (any library) and follow the flowcharts. All machines are pretty much the same.

Pumping out should be time-related, not involving the pressure switch at all, so it's fairly easy to diagnose.

Is it pumping out ? Is it pumping out for the time you expect it to be ? While the pump's running, it should run dry and you'll get the characteristic "trickle and slurping" as it empties the last water out. If the pump shuts off while it still had work to do, then that's a control fault.

If it _is_ running the pump for this period, then chances are that it's either a blockage or coin damage to the pump impeller. You'll need to open it up and look.

What happens if you run it empty, or near-empty ? A faulty slowed-down spin and heavy clothes may be remaining soggy enough that there's no free water in there to pump out, but the clothes are still wet. Trying the final "rinse and empty" programme with no load should still work OK, if that's the case.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Odd you should mention the pressure switch: I had almost persuaded myself that it *would* be that but decided not to mention it!

Thanks for the help - appreciated. Will be checking it out tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Its the motor controller. Mine had same fault. If empty would spin at full speed, put something in and it would never spin at full speed, would attempt to get to full speed and slow down, leaving the clothes very damp if not dripping at the end.

New module plugs in near the main motor, took me a while to locate it and cost about £60. Interestingly the old one had a burnt out tiny diode on it (which might not have been the fault of course) which was a much chunkyer part on new module so looks liked design fault/design change.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

"Ian Middleton" wrote in news:eo2dnTrL67f6mI snipped-for-privacy@tcp.co.uk:

Thanks for that, but it spins at full speed...

When I had this, it was the sensor that detected drum water lever, it was getting clogged with soap and crap. With mine it thought it was full and the door wouldn't open, or it always had some water in it.

Take the back off and look at the base of the drum for a clear plastic vertical tube with pipes off of it. It's only held in with a plastic clip.

If you have it, remove it and clean it and the little tubes off it.

Reply to
EricP

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Two 5p coins sitting in the impeller housing...!

Thanks to all for the help/suggestions.