Washing Machine Limescale Trouble

I've spent most of today dismantling our (fairly old) Phillips Washing Machine in order to get at the drum bearings that have totally collapsed. Upon doing so, however, it has become apparent that the whole machine is completely caked in limescale. The worst component was the heating element, which came out as one big blob of crud!! I can't believe that this has been heating the water for a long time. My question is, would it be worth my while completely cleaning and descaling every part of the machine (it is already in bits and accessible), or would I be just wasting my time? I have already paid £40 for a new set of bearings which will now be no problem to fit.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul S

From recent forays to buy new appliances, your choice would be to repair decent but crudish old ones, or replace with completely new instant crud.

I would opt for refurbishing the old crud, it may be higher quality than replacement.

Reply to
EricP

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:23:30 +0000 (UTC), "Paul S" strung together this:

Well, can't hurt to clean the old one out. The only thing that can go wrong is a leak where limescale is patching up a hole, or something not working. Clean it all out then test it with the back and lid off and check for leaks etc... if it all works then fine, if it doesn't, flog it in the local free ads.

Reply to
Lurch

If you descale it it will be more effective at cleaning clothes. OTOH its not the quickest job. The worst should be offchippable, then its acids.

Citric is hopelessly slow, but safe. Use it boiling to wake it up. Hydrochloric is fast but eats anything it sees. Sulphamic and phosphoric somewhere between the 2.

Note acid is somewhat incompatible with eyeballs - well, I dont know who's reading this.

Maybe do a monthly boil wash with citric acid in future. Note its more effective if you let the wash reach boiling then switch it off overnight, then on again to complete the wash in the morning.

Descaling does produce a small risk of leaks and element failure.

Why dont you answer your own q: spend 2 hours and =A32 descaling, or spend 200 on another machine? Doesnt seem much of a challenging q to me :)

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Maybe he's on £150 per hour like my solicitor!

Reply to
Coherers

Citric is hopelessly slow, but safe. Use it boiling to wake it up. Hydrochloric is fast but eats anything it sees. Sulphamic and phosphoric somewhere between the 2.

What about the descaling powders/gels available? Are they not worth the money?

Note acid is somewhat incompatible with eyeballs - well, I dont know who's reading this.

I will try to remember not to pour it into my eyes, thanks!!!

Maybe do a monthly boil wash with citric acid in future. Note its more effective if you let the wash reach boiling then switch it off overnight, then on again to complete the wash in the morning.

Descaling does produce a small risk of leaks and element failure.

Why dont you answer your own q: spend 2 hours and £2 descaling, or spend 200 on another machine? Doesnt seem much of a challenging q to me :)

NT

Reply to
Paul S

Look to see which acid is in them. some are sensibly priced, many are silly. For the HCl or sulphamic acids, toilet cleaners sometimes are a cheap source. I'd expect to pay 50p for citric (chemist is cheapest source) and 80p for hydrochloric (some bog cleaners)

all liquids splash in use, so its going to take a bit more precaution than that.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton