Washing machine inlet-valve puzzle

Our Whirlpool washing machine has been slowly filling when turned off. Obviously one of the solenoid valves isn't sealing properly, so by shutting off one feed then the other it turns out to be the hot one.

It's easy to replace but what puzzles me is that a new hot valve is around £36 but the cold valve is only half that. Why? The only difference is red plastic instead of blue, and a slightly different electrical connector socket (so I can't fit a cold one).

I can't believe it has to be "tougher" to withstand domestic hot water, and the cold valve works harder because that handles the rinse cycles too.

I haven't checked other brands to see if their inlet valves are that different in price.

Reply to
Reentrant

Can't think it'd be that different just based on temperature rating...

Disconnect the hot & have cold fill only?

Reply to
Phil

Can't think it'd be that different just based on temperature rating...

Disconnect the hot & have cold fill only?

My nearly new siemens only has cold fill so I would go with that idea

Reply to
TMC

Will do if we need to do a load before the new part arrives (what with Christmas post and the big freeze coming it could take a while). I'm pertty sure it will work without a hot supply.

I read recently that all current washing machines on the market are cold-fill only.

Reply to
Reentrant

I agree most do but I have met a machine where only water from the hot fill entered the soap dispenser. If yours is like that you could use an extra hose and a Y pieces such as

or - especially if it's a temporary thing - just use a detergent you put in the drum.

Reply to
Robin

You dont need a new solenoid, the machine should work fine if you simply turn the hot feed off at the wall. You'd then need to use a simple workaround on the 95C cycle: set machine to 60C, and once filled change to a 90C wash. If you don't boil wash often this should be fine.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I once bought a new diaphagm - it wasn't expensive. However the valve was easy to take apart. I always turn the water off at the wall when washing is finished.I know if the wall tap is not turned off because it drips.This is a feature!

Reply to
Matty F

I'd not accept that as a solution, and more importantly, SWMBO certainly wouldn't.

It would pass muster only as a temp workaround till the new part arrived.

The general idea is that the machine needs to 'work properly'. At Lowe Towers, that does not require grubbing around on all fours and emptying the cupboard under the sink to gain access to the shut-off valves every time we do a washing!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I think you must have misunderstood, there's none of that involved.

NT

Reply to
Tabby