Washing machine inlet hose

Washing machine inlet hose - I've just fitted the hose that came with a new Beko washing machine for someone. To stop it leaking, I had to tighten the hose with a pair of grips. Normally, finger tightness will do.

Is this an accident just waiting to happen, do you think? Should I go back, pull the machine out and fit a decent hose? It's awkward to access, but I'd rather do that than have a flood.

Reply to
GB

You could try a new washer - they are standard.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Presumably the threads are plastic on plastic? Are they just tight to turn, or are the threads bottoming without making a proper seal?

If the former, try lubricating the threads. You *should* be able to get a seal just with hand tightening. If the latter, try a thicker washer - or just an extra washer.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's the tap end, and the tap (washing machine outlet) looks reasonable quality. Whereas the moment I picked up the Beko hose, I thought it felt below par. I don't think there's room in the nut part of the connector for an extra washer.

Reply to
GB

In a previous life i worked for thorn homeserve (radio rentals delivery and installation firm) and every week we were issued with a bag of good quality rubber washers for washing machine installs, First thing we do when we take any make of washing machine out of the box is remove the crappy rubber washer in the hose ends (usually a filter washer on end, they were the worst for splitting and leaking a few months later) in put in the decent quality washers.

We were warned that if we ran out of the good quality washers on a job, to refuse the install and wait until we got more washers, anyone who used the washing machine supplied washers was in for a bollocking and a maintinance visit in their own time to the customer to change the washers out, and if the crappy washer had already split and flooded the place, instant dismissal.

Reply to
Gazz