Washing machine hose leak

I've just noticed the sodden wet chipboard flooring under the cupboard in the utility room next to the washing machine. A first look found a leaking waste pipe from the sink but after sealing that the floor stayed wet. Finally I've found that the pipework end of the cold water fill hose was leaking too. It's probably been doing it since I moved in two and a half years ago and fitted the washing machine. After an inordinate amount of buggering about with plumbers tape which achieved nothing and then that plus silicone sealant I've got the thing water tight. There were no rubber washers in the ends of the fill hose. In fact I don't recall ever seeing them in any of those hoses in my entire life. It's just the hard plastic end which abuts the outlet from the machine at one end and also the pipework thread at the other.

Should there be a rubber washer or not or should the plastic hose end seal if you do it up tight enough?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Ah bollocks. I think I've just answered my own question. There was a washer in one end of the hose that was leaking but not the other end and no washers at all in the replacement hose I dug out and swapped over. I now suspect that over the years every washer I might once have had in any of my washing machine hoses has gone awol and I've been managing with just the plastic end sealing up.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Those packs of assorted washers that turn up in Aldi/Lidl now and then can come in handy.

Reply to
stuart noble

Dave Baker used his keyboard to write :

There should always be a wide, black, soft washer there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just be aware there's more than one ID out there, not all washers fit all hoses

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, there should be a washer. Replacements are readily available from the sheds/screwfix/toolstation etc etc ..

Reply to
snot
.

...and remember - the thread plays no part in sealing it so don't bugger about wit PTFE tape.

Reply to
DerbyBorn