Washing machine filling with water when switched off

Hi,

I recently posted a problem on this ng about my washing machine tripping the RCD. Anyway, the fault was the element & now all works fine, but with one new problem. The drum is very slowly filling with water even when the machine is turned off. Now, I did notice a slight leak with the cold water pipe when I moved the machine to fix the element a few days ago & tightened it using mole grips. Could this be causing the problem? Any help please.

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P

Machine's inlet valve knackered. This is a flood-the-place-soon risk. Only a small part, and access normally easy from top of machine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks for that. Luckily, my machine automatically locks the door when there's water in the drum even when the machine is off, so thankfully, flooding is unlikely.

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P

Carefull - it might continue to fill and start coming out of a top vent or the soap dispenser! Replace that faulty inlet valve quick!

Reply to
Homer2911

Aalso - a machine full of water will be a devil to move.

Reply to
John

There's more than one way to flood! The inlet valve is electrically operated, to let water in when the cycle demands it. It's only made of plastic, and the liklihood is that you cracked it when you tightened the connector. *AT the moment* it is only leaking through the valve into the machine. But if the valve gives up altogether, the external bit could break off, and you'd have an open hose at mains pressure pouring water into your kitchen.

Is there a manual tap at the other end of the flexible hose? If so, turn it OFF whenever the machine isn't being used until you've replaced the inlet valve.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There are small taps on the hose connectors under the sink, so I can turn them off. I've loosened the hose connections slightly on the back of the machine & so far, no water problems. I'll keep an eye on it.

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P

Could well be the solenoid inlet valve - or the level switch that triggers the solenoid.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

you must be young

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had this recently.Machine filled up and overflowed out the soap drawer.It was in an upstairs utility room.Bit of a mess. Mark.

Reply to
mark

However, running a normal cycle should work - or a 'drain' one.

Reply to
Ian Stirling