Washing Machine drum spins one way only

I have just re-installed a washing machine that was in the garage for a year and it has the following problem(s)
1. The drum seems to only spin in one direction. Even though I can hear the machine going through the motions it doesn't spin in the opposite direction. It works its way successfully through the cycle but only spins one way.
2. When it get to any fast spin point on the cycle I can hear the machine going through the motions internally but the drum doesn't spin, however it suddenly srikes into full spin speed instantly.
I suspect worn out brushes for the second point but I can't explain the one way drum issue.
Any help appreciated.
Chas
On 20 Feb 2004 16:47:14 -0800, Charlie wrote:

Stuck/sticky reversing relay on the motor control board?
Ours has a similar problem but only for some parts of the cycle, so I suspect an iffy microswitch in the timer module.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On 20 Feb 2004 16:47:14 -0800, charlesward_totalise_co snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Charlie) wrote:

[T] When you say 'going through the motions' Chas do you include the motor (but not drum) in this or just the pump / water valve / timeswitch etc?

[T] If the main drum motor *is* running I'm thinking of maybe the main drive belt here. Could it gain drive in one direction and slip in the other? Also it might slip till the belt get's warm then pickup etc?

Good luck ..
T i m
Dave said....
Stuck/sticky reversing relay on the motor control board?
Is this easy to find / diagnose?
Tim said...

filling /pumping out /general clicking in a normal kinda way/ programmer going round / etc/etc. Perhaps I should more accurately say its the motor thats not going round (and hence not the drum). The motor isn't engaging in the clockwise direction. In the anticlockwise direction it spins slowly when required, but when a fast spin is required it doesn't happen for a good few seconds and then the drum suddenly strikes into full speed - dangerous I would immagine. There doesn't appear to be any damage/slippage on the belt. I can hear nothing untoward to indicate a problem, no grinding etc.

Why Hmm ? Hmm?
Oh and I should say there is a tiny leak coming from underneath - sorry I can't be more accrate - I'm taking it apart on Monday to have a look - I got the Haynes Washing Machine manual from the library this afternoon. Any help appreciated.
Chas