Washing machine/cost savings

Not DIY, but of the ngs I read, this is the one with the most people=20 who are clued-in to this kind of thing.

The washing machine looks like it might be on its last legs (I'm not=20 complaining, it was a reconditioned fifty-quid job three years ago)=20 and I'm looking at the possibility of buying a large-volume one.=20 There are two in particular that are under consideration.

One is the Whirlpool LSQ8033 - a top-loader, costing less than =A3400.=20 I know top-loaders are generally less efficient; I can't find=20 detailed energy information on this one - but it takes a load of 8.2=20 kg and is cheap for that size of load.

The other is the Whirlpool Dreamspace AWM9000. It's a front-loader,=20 costing about 60% more. Takes 9 kg. Rated AAA or ABB, depending on=20 where I look :-\

Now, the questions. How much is an energy-efficient model likely to=20 save me? We're paying 11.2p/kwh in electricity, water isn't metered.=20 With a bigger washer, that means fewer loads - currently with a 5ish=20 kg machine, we probably average about nine loads a week. Is it worth=20 paying the extra for the front-loader? I've used both kinds and have=20 a slight preference for the front-loading kind, but only slight.

I'm not married to the idea of a Whirlpool, btw - it's just these=20 seem the best available options. The only real criteria are large=20 volume and price - and that it can be delivered to Northern Ireland=20 without costing a fortune.

TIA

--=20 KVL

Reply to
KVL

Only thing I can add is stay away from traditional type top loaders, they use many times as much water thus many times as much energy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have a look at the Bosch Maxx range -- they take a larger load than average for front loaders.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

It looks like only one of that range takes more than 6kg - the WBB=20

24759 Logixx 1200 - and it's no more energy-efficient than the=20 Whirlpool, and comes in at about =A380 more.

--=20 KVL

Reply to
KVL

According to "Which?" magazine Bosch are a more reliable brand. If this is really true then the extra could be worth it. We have an old Bosch Maxx and it's never gone wrong despite being used every day for many years (now where's that wood I need to touch now ;-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark