Washing machine connectors

The seal should be made around the face of the valve, not the threads.

Inspect the washer, plastic y-shaped thing for cracks or protruding bits. If found, remove. You might consider replacing Y shaped splitter with a couple of nice shut-off valves.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

This morning I discovered that the joint in the Y shaped splitter which divides the cold supply into two for the washing machine and dishwasher had failed and cold water was flooding the kitchen :-(

I always seem to have trouble connecting washing machines/dishwashers to the water supply. The plastic connectors with the screw up sleeve never seem to get a tight seal.

time I used PTFE tape to try to make the joint but I notice that where it was touching the water it's got yellow stringy so I suspect that is what has failed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make those joints watertight? I'm thinking of trying some silicone sealant on the threads next time, does anyone know if that will work?

Reply to
Sapient Fridge

I have a similar set up, with a split cold feed to the washer and dishwasher using Y piece connector, and I've never had any leakage problems. Are the rubber washers in good condition? All that should be necessary is to wet the washer and tighten by hand. PTFE tape is not necessary as the seal is provided by the washer. I have experienced problems with leakage from the hose crimped fittings, but never from adaptors or washer connections. The cheapest source for good quality hoses & fittings is BES.

D.

Reply to
Terry D

The seal is made between the faces of the tap and connector - there should be a rubber washer. If this is missing or damaged, replace it. PTFE tape won't be any use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IMHE, splitters are more reliable if they hang freely on a length of pipe, rather than sticking out from a tap. If the washing machine vibrates itself backwards a little, it can press on the protruding Y and cause cracking in no time.

There's also the issue of heating costs from your gas CH vs. the washing machine's internal heater, and heater replacement costs if you live somewhere scaley. Hot and cold fill is worth fitting, if you possibly can.

As to connections, then PTFE is usefuless here because it's a face seal onto those black rubber washers - the screw thread just doesn't have any water pressure across it. These harden over time and so I _always_ replace them if I take the pipes off. They're one of the thing I always keeps spares of in the toolbox.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On 08 Aug 2004 21:44:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Paper2002AD) strung together this:

That's what I do, I've fitted hundreds of appliance fill hoses that way and only the occasional one has needed a 'bit of nipping up' afterwards.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Paper2002AD writes

It worked!

I also bought new hoses and connectors, inspected and wet the washers before tightening and got rid of the Y splitter and replaced it with two separate connectors on the mains piping.

So far it's holding, 6 hours so far and no leakage! I think this is the first time I've ever managed to use these connectors without them leaking!

Reply to
Sapient Fridge