Washing Machine, Black Mould, Large Amounts.

SWMBO just came into the room "Agitatato" because her white sheets had become marked in the washing machine with what looks like black mould.

She says It can take over 5 wash cycles to get the marks out. :-(

The marking extended over several square feet. On one previous instance Ca. 3 months ago, we came to the conclusion that mould must be growing in the detergent compartment/filler pipe, so cleaned it out.

However todays repeat event was worse. So bad in fact that I couldn't quite see how the black mould could get at the clothes through the little holes in the drum in the quantity that must have been needed.

I'm looking for alternative ideas, first thing I thought of was that it had been growing trapped in a fold on the rubber door seal and gobs of it had got on the clothes when the machine was loaded. Inspecting it reveals some black in there. Could this indicate a fault, pooling of water in the seal for instance?

Any body seen the like of this before. SWMBO uses Ariel liguid detergent if that is significant.

TNX.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

If it's mould then a good dose of bleach is needed. Are you sure it isn't the gunge formed by limescale and detergent? This is normally grey and causes grey stains on the washing. The cure for that is washing machine descaler (citric acid).

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Every so often, you should run a boil wash with a couple of tea towels. This usually keeps the mould at bay, especially when you are good and normally run environmentally friendly 40C washes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I just leave the porthole ajar when not in use - machine kept ventilated and mould does not occur.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes. And that.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle" typed

I get black mould in the fabric softener drawer; I wonder if the goo in it feeds the mould.

I concur with what others have posted.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

What's fabric softener?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is a liquid that may be optionally added to the washing machine drawer which is intended to soften the fabric and reduce creasing. It is also called fabric conditioner. You will find it under brand names such as Comfort and Lenor.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Owain typed

Bloo goo I buy cos my partner whines that the towels are too rough.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Put one or the other in the tumble drier? One way or another you'd be rid of the problem.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King typed

No tumble drier.

Partner too large and heavy for me to insert into washing machine.

Bloo goo are cheap compromise...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Er upstairs insists on using it. As well as causing numerous problems with washing machines, it also severely reduces teh ability of towels to fulfill their main function of drying.

Reply to
<me9

Introduce him to Rupert Brooke[1], in particular The Great Lover: "These I have loved ... Then, the cool kindliness of sheets, that soon Smooth away trouble; and the rough male kiss Of blankets ..."

I must admit that after "the benison of hot water" the "rough male kiss" of a towel is *wonderful*!

Douglas de Lacey [1] FTAOD, this is metonymy.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey