Washing machine bearing replacement

It's time to change the drum bearings in my Hotpoint again (it's nearly 20 years old). Hit a snag this time -- I can't get the drum shaft out of the bearings. The outer (smaller) bearing still looks to be OK and the shaft is sliding in that one (there's about a mm axial play), so I presume it's stuck in the inner bearing which I can't see. The bearing seal has failed too, so I guess this might have corroded. Any suggestions? I've tried hitting the end of the shaft, but that's not made any difference. Only other thing I can think of is to take the whole outer drum out, put it face-down on the floor, and stand on the drum shaft, hoping that might push it out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you get a bearing puller to it?

David

Reply to
Lobster

No, there was nothing to pull on.

However, I just decided to hit it much harder, and it came out, taking the inner bearing with it. Looking at the state of the shaft, there's no way the bearing would ever slide up it, so I need a new drum shaft/support too. The bearing has worn right through its outer casing, which is split circumferentially into two pieces.

I've already got new bearings and seals. I'll be on to CPC about a new drum shaft on Monday morning, if it's still available.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Careful use of a small angle grinder will enable you to split the bearing. A nut splitter to assist at the final stage can be useful. A small dent in the shaft under the bearing(but NOT the seal!) is not significant IME. There's no point in not replacing all of the bearings and seals at the same time.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Sorry, misread the post, please disregard earlier reply. If you can access the rear, I'd try to break up the carrier for the balls on both bearings, extract the balls and shaft, then sort out the mess on the outer drum, without doing too much damage to the pressings. Alternatively, buy another machine. NOT a Whirlpool!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol