Washing machine - bad vibration problem

Hi everyone,

My 18 month old Electrolux washing machine has today started vibrating around *really* badly on the spin cycle like its unbalanced ( or maybe that's just me ) so is there anything obvious I should look out for first?

Total numptie here, so any suggestions welcomed!

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Our washing machine (Hotpoint) behaved like that when one of the suspension struts on the drum had come loose. Just putting my hand in the machine and pushing the drum up and down or side to side confirmed that it moved far too easily. On most machines the top and rear covers are easily removable so you can have look in and see if there's any obvious amiss.

Reply to
Phil

I assume this has happened on more than one wash cycle, in other words you are not mistaking an out of balance 'load' with an internal fault IYSWIM ?

Reply to
Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Nope, regular irrespective of what load level is inside. That was my initial thought, but unfortunately it isn't as simple as that!

I'll take the panel off and have a look anyway, there may be something glaringly obvious ( even to me ) that's causing it.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Righto!

That's what I'll do - feeling adventurous today anyway!

I'll post back with how I get on.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

The drum will be mounted on springs or some sort of sprung strut supports and there'll probably be a big concrete counterbalance inside somewhere. First step is to make sure a spring or support or the block hasn't come loose or broken. It should all be relatively straightforward inside when you get the top off.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

For starters, were you washing anything out of the ordinary, eg an usually heavy load?

David

Reply to
Lobster

If it is only 18 months old from new, then tell the place where you bought it is is buggerd!

They should arrange for it to be fixed...

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

OK,

I hauled the machine ( Zanussi Nexus, not Electrolux ! ) out to take off the various panels for a look-see.

Top panel removes just fine, but although there are two lower screws the rear panel doesn't seem removable at all - there's no "seam" where a panel is obvious, instead it looks like a solid rear sheet.

It's obvious from the fine grit on the inside of the casing that the concrete slab has been thrashed about some, resulting in it powdering the inside, and there seems to be very excessive front to rear play of the drum - side to side is fine.

The drive belt is worn and had moved on the spindle and was hanging maybe 1/4 off the threads, and had started to strip.

My main concern though is the excessive play - and the fact that I can't seem to get decent access to the machine bay, even tipping it upside down doesn't allow much room at all.

Any idea if there are schematics online for Zanussi models, as like I say I don't see an obvious panel for easy removal and access.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Hi,

Nope, just the usual type of load.

Thanks,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

12 month warranty, so although I tried that in the first instance I never got too far!

Customer service, eh?

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

I assume that when you took the top off, the varioussprings holding the drum central were all still connected and/or not broken?

Reply to
Wdyw

Rubbish if I may say - Go back and tell them it needs fixing - Refer them to consumer legislation that states among other things that an item must be fit for the purpose that it is sold - A washing machine by the nature of things will be used on a regular even a daily basis if your home is like mine. To say that the 12 month warranty has expired is not a defense. Any problems tell them you will contact your local trading standards and do so. The days of saying hard luck it is out of warranty have gone - Just taking some firms a while to accept.

Frank Healy

Reply to
Frank Healy

Tt is important to remember that both warranties and guarantees are in addition to your statutory rights under either the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended). If you have problems with goods or services, it is best to go back to the company from which you bought them, as the law considers them to be responsible for any problems under their contract with you.

Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights? A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This holds the shop liable for up to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is in addition to these statutory legal rights. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights.

From

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I would strongly advise you put it all back together as you found it, and contact the shop you bought it from again...

(Repeted from a previous reply, just in case you didn't see it)

It is important to remember that both warranties and guarantees are in addition to your statutory rights under either the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended). If you have problems with goods or services, it is best to go back to the company from which you bought them, as the law considers them to be responsible for any problems under their contract with you.

[...]

Yes, both springs at the top and the bottom were fine, from the limited access and view I had.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

powdering

You should never tip a washing machine, or dishwasher, upside down, or even lay one on its side, unless you know what you are doing. This can cause even more problems, like water getting into pressure switches, which could cause floods next time the machine is used, or cause the heater to come on when the machine is empty. When a washing machine is tipped upside down, the weight of the drum can also damage the timer, and other electrical components.

The original problem sounds like a loose concrete weight, which could be at the front of the machine, below the door, or under the drum. Sometimes when these come loose, they damage the fixings on the drum, meaning a new drum is required, or a new machine.

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

Hi

I like Sparks' reply best, and from what you say about the belt am aware that your problem isnt just one simple issue.

Should you end up stuck with fixing it yourself: the possible problems are:

  1. spring come adrift
  2. shock absorbers gone, meaning the springs limit movement but the drum will bounce back and forth a bit when moved, so during spin the bouncing will quickly build up
  3. Broken arm supporting the drum - this would make it easy to move the drum relative to the metal tank it sits in, and would account for the belt problem too.

If 3. is not the problem then some other problem is causing the belt problem. And thats another problem. :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Make sure the ohlins is working ;-)

But seriously, there's a damper in there on the newish and oldish machines.

P.

PS. Mine had a serious vibration when I took it out of storage. Took it apart to to find the transit (drum locking) bar on it. Which was strange as I had a transit bar in my hand. So it either had 2 or someone helpful had put one from another machine on top of it :(

Reply to
Zymurgy

Thanks for giving the full information - I have in the past tried to resolve the problem that people have created for themselves. The attitude of many suppliers is such that when people are quoted silly prices because "It is out of warranty" they have a go themselves - I find that in general the public are not aware of their rights - That is why I suggested contacting trading standards. They always put people on the right track and I have found that the suppliers on the whole quickly have a change of mind about it just being hard luck on the consumer - after all if it goes to court they invariably finish up with egg on face and the press love to report their failings.

Frank Healy

Reply to
Frank Healy