Washing line. In connection with "Women they are not thinkers are they".

Can't really believe I am posting about this

Couldn't think of any specific post to reply to, so have used an entirely different thread.

We have one of those retracting lines so we basically can't leave the pegs on the line . The pegs are stored in a bag which clips on to the line retraction mechanism bracket. The line is unrolled every time it is needed, the other end is attached to a hook on a post (attached to over the back's fence) it is wiped (surprisingly the line can get quite grotty even coiled up) . The pegs are taken from the bag, which is hung from the line, as needed .

Reply to
soup

Is there a punch line coming, or have I missed something?

Reply to
John Rumm

Good. I thought it was me.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Erm yes, I'm on tenterhooks.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The wife came into the room at that point I imagine.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are some issues with these devices though. Most are made of very cheap plastic and sometimes badly painted metal for the reel in bit and mounting, but they do not seem to offer them with a metal bar at the other end. So you have four lines and a plastic bar with hooks to support it. What happens six months in, the bloody plastic breaks and the lines come off. They are made from one long line looped back and forth of course. So you then start making all sorts of bodges to get the function back, as you know the next one you buy will have the mounting holes in a different place etc.

The also have a nasty habit of the ratchet jammed knob popping out and letting all the clothes fall down. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

PS I've never noticed a washing line thinking, but how can one tell? It might have come up with the answer to life, the Universe and Everything, and then the peg broke.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

...and then the Vicar came in and the parrot said......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Different type of device. I know the type you mean, hideous bits of kit, sold for above the bath or somesuch. The type I mean is similar to

though not the same one , it is of the same type (I shall try to describe it for you Brian it has a single line and is meant for outside rather than one line bent into four and meant for indoor use

Reply to
soup

I should hope it's not the same one - that one only garnered two stars out of five from thirty seven reviews, and it's so bad it's been discontinued by the stockist. I like the overall idea though, and would hope to find a more robust (if necessarily more expensive) version.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ours is SIMILAR to this

(though ours is a previous model {given it's age there have probably been many versions inbetween). Not at all expensive, less than a tenner, twin line and more a darkish grey than the green or white/cream shown in the pic.

It would get nothing but a glowing report from me it has been attached to the outside wall for at least ten years come wind or weather, and the only downside is the retract is starting to become a bit sluggish (not enough to worry about but it is slowing).

Reply to
soup