Washer dryers?

Hi, Washing machine just packed up so got to buy a new one. At the moment we have a separate tumble dryer alongside but her indoors would like a dishwasher!! So because of a space shortage thought it might be a good idea to have a washer dryer and a dishwasher alongside. Question is are they any good now, I know they used to be a bit of a liability. Seen a Servis M9310 at Tesco, anyone know if these are any good?

Thanks for any help Jess

Reply to
Jess

I don't know what the reliability is like now, but we had a Servis about 15 years ago and wouldn't have another. Since then have used Hotpoint, and have only had to replace motor brushes a couple of times (something even I can do with a little advice from the brush seller, and a small short screwdriver.) Neil

Reply to
Neil

Which? reports on Washer/dryers invariably report that they do not perform anywhere near as well as separate units. One major problem is that the maximum drying load is always less than the maximum washing load. This means that following a wash you would have to remove some of the clothing to do a drying cycle and then do another drying cycle when the first is finished. If you have more than one wash-load to do then this is all taking up time. The drum on washer-dryers is always smaller than the drum on a separate tumble dryer and this is the reason for the above. If you can put up with the inconvenience and the below par results then go ahead. Having had a dishwasher for about twenty years now I certainly would not want to do without it and so you have to weigh off the inconvenience of the washer/dryer against the added convenience of not having to hand wash and dry all those mucky dishes!!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

For what it's worth, I asked the (independent) local repair guy who fixed my elderly Hoover washer-drier some time back about a possible replacement: his advice was to steer clear of Servis.

Personally I don't find the reduced drying capacity of a twin-function machine to be a particular drawback, especially given the amount of space you're saving.

Bert

Bert Coules

Can't you just get plastic plates etc. and shove them in the washing machine!

;-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Servis are very low quality and very expensive to repair so if you get one think of it as a disposable.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Oddly enough, I've never had any problem at all with Servis. Until recently I had been renting for a few years and the landlords always provided Servis washing machines and fridges. Never had any problem with any of them.

John.

Reply to
JM

Well its like the old man smoked 80 a day since he was 12 and died at 108 never did him any harm

Peter

Reply to
Peter

In my experience, every single make has about as many people who will swear by it as swear at it.

Bert

Bert Coules

Very true - look at the Dyson threads that pop up here every now and again...

(I like Dysons, by the way...)

John.

Reply to
JM

In message , Jess writes

As a landlord, I bought a couple of Hotpoints a few years ago, and will never buy another. I now buy Hoover washer/dryers and they are the business.

(sp?) are very reliable and seem to have close to the best deals.

I have a Hoover Washer/dryer personally, along with a Bosch slimline dishwasher, and wouldnt be without either.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

A satisfied customer - and yet Hotpoint always gets a dreadful write-up on reliability in Which? reports. The models that always do well are Bosch, Miele, Siemens, etc.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:40:33 +0000 (UTC), "Jess" strung together this:

Not a brilliant idea, they do sort of work but even the decent ones don't perform anywhere near as well as seperate appliances.

Yes, they're crap, as are anything Servis do, and Hotpoint, Candy, Zanussi, Indesit and Samung. Stick with Bosch or Miele for the WM, and a Bosch or Miele or Creda TD.

Reply to
Lurch

maybe I've just been lucky. Although the Servis machine did cope with babies & toddlers stuff, and the Hotpoint came along later. So maybe the Hotpoint has had an easier life. I never put too much reliance on Which? reports. They're good in many ways, and I subscribe to the magazine, but anythig that has appeared that I know anything about always seems to miss out several supplier/manufacturers. Neil

Reply to
Neil

We've had a Hotpoint washing machine for about 10.5 years. Dryer ditto. They have had a hard life; purchased when our first child was about 2 weeks old. Both children generated plenty of work for them!

Dryer has given zero problems apart from a broken door window clip.

Washer has had one replacement cable tie, one door seal, one set of brushes and a set of new bearings. With the hammering it's had, and the initial price, I think that's not too bad at all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm thinking of replacing my aging Hoover washer-dryer with an Indesit model. Does anyone have any opinions and experiences of that particular brand?

Bert

Bert Coules

Except maybe Miele?

I've not seen many people complaining about those (except maybe the price!)

Darren - admittedly owner of two miele machines

Reply to
dmc

Darren,

Fair enough. I must move in lower-budgeted circles.

Bert

Bert Coules

Lurch,

Thanks for that. I'd be grateful for your recommendation of a more reliable and robust mid-range make.

Bert

Bert Coules

Remember that washer dryers are pathetic at drying. Most designs also use a scandalous amount of water when *drying* too. This is because they are normally condensing designs. As the space in the box is limited, a proper condensing mechanism doesn't fit, so they use a smaller water->air heat exchanger (instead of air->air) and just leave the "tap" running internally continuously to drain. These are an environmental disaster area, and a financial one too, if you're on a meter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle