Washer/dryer as dryer only

Hi could someone please tell me if I run a washer/dryer as a dryer only, do I still need both hot and cold connections to the rear? Can I take both of them off? Thanks to any replies.

Jon

Reply to
uncertainsmile

If it's a condenser type it will still need a water supply, but it won't need hot, if it helped you could supply hot and cold with cold through a "Y" adapter.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It probably won't be as efficient as a proper tumble dryer though which is optimised for drying and has a larger drum. Always worth asking on Freecycle.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Downie

You'd need cold feed and drainage connected. 2 in 1 machines tend to take less clothes. Much better imho:

meow2222

Very inefficient. Very expensive in running costs. The small heater elements in all washer dryers don't last very long. The whole machine, because they are un-vented, clogs with fluff unless you have a water spray to clear the air cavity out.

A washer dryer has to be connected to at least the cold water system so that the air cavity is flushed and pumped out on a regular basis. When the dryer is doing its thing, it makes the clothes give off fluff at an amazing rate, just like a normal tumble dryer, but the washer dryer doesn't have a big vent hole which clears the fluff into the area you have the vent pointed at. The machine actually uses a spray action to clear the air of fluff so it doesn't clog up. The water washes the fluff down into a sump bottle and is then pumped out as a sludge of water and fluff, down the drain.

Just using the machine as a dryer will cost a fortune because the element is so small and the drying action on the tumble cycle is very poor. It takes twice as long to tumble dry a full load of clothes than in a standard tumble dryer, and so costs twice as much in running costs.

To me, it is not a thing I would recommend anyone to use, or even buy in the first place for that matter. If you want or need a washer dryer system, buy separate units and stack them together in a corner of the room. Throw the vent hose out of a window when you use the dryer. It's a lot more economical.

Reply to
BigWallop

In the DIY wiki article it says: "The John Lewis heat pump tumble dryer claims 2.1kWh per 5kg cycle." There's a link to the John Lewis website, but it's broken, and the search engine is useless. Anyone know exactly which model this is?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

how does half the power for twice as long equal twice the run cost?

Not at all - but yes, theyre a poor relative.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't, but selecting options to get to John Lewis brand tumble dryers turns up only three models, only two of which are condensing. This one is reckoned to do 7kg with 2.4kWh, so I'd guess they've changed the models. Look at the price though!

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn