Wash basin pop up plug

The plugs where you operate a lever on the wash basin and a linkage between the lever and the plug, causes it to pop up...

I'm presently trying to fit one to a wash basin, where the wash basin is supported on a pedastal and the pedastal in in the way of rod which has a the small plastic ball on it, which fits through the side of the plug basket - this is the lower rod.

The entire thing uses two rods, the horizontal lower rod and a second vertical one which ends above the surface of the wash basin.

I could put a bend in the lower rod, allowing it to turn around the pedastal slightly, but then (due to the bend) operating the lever would cause it to simply rotate rather than eject the plug.

It is working fine at the momoment by reach down under the wash basin to operate the lower rod directly, but obviously I would like to try to engineer a proper solution.

I long ago replaced the separate H & C taps, with a mixer and fitted a chrome blank in the spare position.

My plan was to drill the blank to allow the operating rod to pass through that, but as said, the pedastal is in the way of the direct between them. Can you get a bowden type cable system for these, which would make this possible?

Or plan B, would it be sensible to drill a hole through the porcelain? There is a nice wide soap shelf along the rear edge of the wash basin and doing it that way would allow a very direct route for the operating rods.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Those pop-up mechanisms are hateful things. I would ditch it in favour of a "flippable" plug or one of the "press plug down to close, press again to open types.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've already had one working absolutely fine on our other wash basin of a different style for two or three years, so I was hoping to find a method to get this to work too. They have the advantage of not needing to feel about in the water for the plug, just push the button.

So I suppose my question now ought to be - Has anyone drilled a porcelain wash basin? Any advice on doing that?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

IP65 switch in the washbasin blank controlling a solenoid, suppled by low voltage DC.

Reply to
The Other Mike

+1
Reply to