wash basin in a bedroom

Can anyone please tell me if there are any building regulations governing the installation of a wash basin in a bedroom? Would I have to apply for permission to do this? Thanks.

Reply to
kent

installation of a wash basin in a bedroom? Would I have to apply for permission to do this? Thanks.

Why tell anyone? Just install it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

the installation of a wash basin in a bedroom? Would I have to apply for permission to do this? Thanks.

Yes, was that's what i thought I'd do (!) but I was just interested to see if regulations extended this far. thanks.

Reply to
kent

the installation of a wash basin in a bedroom? Would I have to apply for permission to do this? Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a low power (3 kW?) cold-fill instant hot water heater that would be suitable for this purpose? If it is low powered I guess it could just be plugged into a socket rather than hard wired. Anyone any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Reply to
kent

Look up Triton T30i

or the like on eBay

Reply to
Nthkentman

NT

er that would be suitable for this purpose? =A0If it is low powered I guess= it could just be plugged into a socket rather than hard wired. =A0Anyone a= ny thoughts on this? =A0Thanks.

Does it have to be instant? 3kW instant doesn't give very much or very hot water, it's okay for handwashing in a toilet but probally not good enough for eg shaving.

A small storage heater would probably be better eg

it on a timeclock if you don't want it running 24h. Avoid anything VENTED unless you want continuously dripping taps

Owain

Reply to
Owain

about the strorage option and not the instant option. I just fit any shit that the wholesaler has got going cheap for landlords.

Seconded.

Not come across that problem before

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They have a special tap, which looks like an ordinary 1960's tap, but the knob on the top opens and closes the tank inlet, not the tap spout. As the cold water heats up in the tank, it expands and drips from the tap spout. Also there's a bit of a delay between turning the tap off and the flow at the spout stopping. Combine this with the dripping tap, and people tend to turn it off harder in a fruitless attempt to stop the flow and the dripping, and the washer gets knackered very quickly.

It's all a question of if the tank will take mains pressure, or not and has to be vented.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

installation of a wash basin in a bedroom? Would I have to apply for permission to do this? Thanks. I'm not certain but I think regulations say that you cant do it like they did here in the 60's where the sinks waste goes to the rainwater hoppers: maybe you now have to send it to the sewer pipes?

[george]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Taking the Ariston example (most probably similar)

- 10L Unvented - 2.8m in 15mm from the cold tap takeoff

- 15L Unvented - 4.5m in 15mm from the cold tap takeoff

So basically you need a PRV to drop pressure down, then a pressure tank, then a pressure release valve & tundish with route to a drain point.

Unvented can be a PITA in terms of added cost, components & space required. Conversely Vented can be a PITA re tap cost & "that drip problem".

The inline 5.0kW heater is smaller than any and should be enough for a sink, it does require a 20A feed. If there is any chance you are going to stuff a Saniflo you need to use a 32A feed. For that reason I would use 32A cable, just in case someone comes out with a 6.0kW instant heater which would be that very appreciated bit better than 5.0kW. I think the 3.0kW unit is a dead duck for anything other than a Part M toilet "cat weeing on your hands with something approaching warm" after strangling the water supply with a flow restrictor :-)

Actually the cat might be a better bet, so plan on a velcro wall mount and bottle to feed the cat (I am a cat lover :-)

Reply to
js.b1

lol

Reply to
kent

Thanks

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Oh, one other option, which might be best of all.

If you can get a 9kW capable supply to the heater fit a ZIP Inline Water Heater 9kW, TLC do them for about =A3210. The difference over the junk Hyco Dafi units is the digital LED control of temperature, you set 35-55oC. German made, although wish they had some other name than "ZIP" which makes them sound like a cheap knockoff (they are not). There is a 6kW unit if you can find it, which would be more suitable to a bedroom wash basin. Uses a standard tap. No hot water stored, just heats water on demand like a shower except the quality is better than knockoff units.

Reply to
js.b1

I can vouch that heater is very well made.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thi is a diy group??? i'm amased no one has suggested this yet:

Gazz