Warping 4 inch fence post

Built a gate and attached it to a 4 inch fence post last year, gate is roughly 3 ft x 5ft high, I have done similar previously with no problems but the post in this one is warping ie going banana shape to the point the gate is `jamming`. I can adjust the hinges or trim the gate but is there any other correctional things I could try. Last resort would be to dig out the concrete and replace the post.

Reply to
ss

replace

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Run a circular saw down to cut the curved face so it is vertical? Then you'd have a tapered post of course, and also you'd need to paint the fresh wood with stuff. Might be a quick fix though.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

ughly 3 ft x 5ft high, I have done similar previously with no problems but the post in this one is warping ie going banana shape to the point the gate is `jamming`. I can adjust the hinges or trim the gate but is there any ot her correctional things I could try. Last resort would be to dig out the co ncrete and replace the post.

Ye cannae warp a fence post Cap'n! There's do Di-Lithium in em!

Reply to
cpvh

IME twisting is more common (and more of a problem) than bending, and it's just something that some posts will do. As OPs have said, you may be able to remove material but it may be best to replace.

Reply to
newshound

If you replace it, there is no guarantee the new one won't do the same.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think it rather depends with what it is replaced. Reinforced concrete tends not to twist very much... :-)

Twisting posts are a right pain - I was lucky that, with one exception, all the critical ones have been OK. And the exception could be "reinforced" back into a usable shape/position.

Reply to
polygonum

Stuff replacing the post, I rarely use the gate so will let it go for a couple more months and then reposition the hinge and trim the post/gate if necessary.

Reply to
ss

Update... Due to proximity of a wall I used a length of wood and wedged it in horizonally at the top of the gate post after a couple of weeks it fell out as the post slowly went back to original orientation I then got a slightly longer piece and have done the same again, If need be I can make this length of wood permanent once I get the post back to where I want it and hopefully that will prevent it happening again.

Reply to
ss