warped front door

I have recently moved home. After the recent damp/wet weather we have had my front door to my house won't open. It no doubt has warped.

What is the best way to tackle this problem and best prevention from further trouble? Should I force open door and shave off some of door nearest frame (near lock), or the frame itself or wait until it dries (unwarps)and shave off a little then ?

Would it be OK to leave it - ie could it cause structural damage?

Its a solid oak door, treated with tung oil (probably not or not enough under door where I think the problem has come from) with plastic draught proofing all around.

Thanks for your help

Simon

Reply to
Simon L

In message , Simon L writes

I doubt it has warped, more likely just expanded with the damp.

You want to plane down the door on the lock side, take care if the door is really stuck tight, you might need to wait a little for it to shrink back. Try to note where it is sticking if it isn't all along.

Yes.

No.

Whatever you do doors always seem to expand, but the bottom does want good sealing as that is most exposed to the wet.

Reply to
chris French

Do that and the lock might not fit any more.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Rob Morley writes

easily solved with a drill and a chisel

Reply to
chris French

Any holes in the face of the door will be out of line - if you plane the hinge side all holes are in the edge of the door so alignment is not a problem.

Reply to
Rob Morley