warm water in c/h header tank

Hi Ihave warm water in my C/h header tank it is not from the expansion pipe because this vents over the main storage tank. I have no heating either and pipes are banging as if air is trapped h/w seems to be ok any help please

Reply to
Mark stanford

Hi Ihave warm water in my C/h header tank it is not from the expansion pipe because this vents over the main storage tank. I have no heating either and pipes are banging as if air is trapped h/w seems to be ok any help please

================================== First, your CH expansion/overflow should not vent into the main tank because it will dump inhibitor and any other nasties in your CH water into it.

Second, it sounds like you've got an airlock. The CH pump is running and the airlock is preventing the water from circulating forcing it "backwards" up the feed pipe. Have you been round the rads and bled air from them? Have you got a bleed valve or similar at the highest point in your pipework?

Reply to
Scion

The expansion pipe for the CH vents into the main cold water storage tank?

CH pump working?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It'll be the HW expansion that he's talking about I guess. I also suspect that he has a single CH feed/expansion pipe to his CH header tank.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Unlikey - you probably have a single combined feed/expansion pipe. The expansion pipe into the other tank will be from the top of the hot water cylinder, which is a separate water system.

It's called an expansion tank, because the hot water in the system expands back up into it, so being warm isn't necessarily an issue. Make sure it has a lid so it's not spreading moisture into the loft.

You haven't really given enough information about the type of heating system, etc.

Also, what caused this to start, or what happend just before it was doing this?

It could be that there's no flow so the boiler is boiling. If so, it could be that there's an air-lock which includes the pump, so the pump isn't pumping anything. Some pumps have a large screw on the back of the motor to let air out (beware some dirty water will come out too - be ready to soak it up). It could be that the pump has died and the impeller isn't going around or has no blades left. However, you don't want to let the boiler boil - you may wreck the heat exchanger.

Need more info on the situation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

pump goosed !!!!!!!!!