warm front rant

bugger it, went through all the rigramole of applying for this warm front thingy, the bungalow i'm renting has no insulation at all over the stairwell, top is open the the roof space which is standard buitumin type lining over the rafters, and concrete tiles on the top side, same with there a built in wardrobe was put into one of the bedrooms... is a dormer bungalow, badly converted in the 70's i believe.

anyway, before i even applied for the warm front thing, i asked them if there's a record of this place having some work done by them or a similar scheem before, as there is one single spot where there's a double layer of pink insulation, about 1/6th of the total roof space, everywhere else there's the standard 70's yellow insulation that's well below the celing joists... and of course no insulation at all in places.

they said they couldent tell me anything till i applied, but from my description it wasnt a warm front type scheem that paid for the work, as they'd never leave area's uninsulated and never do part of a job, all or nothing they said.

so i apply, have to prove im entitled to it, get someone out to look round who agrees it cant have been warm front who did the half arsed job of insulating only part of the loft,

got a phone call today, in 2002 cavity wall insulation and loft insulation was done by the scheem that ran before warm front, and as the records say loft insulation has been installed here, i cant have anymore, even tho i told them the loft is not insulated at all in places, a classic 'computer says no' situation.

they said the last person living here must have taken the insulation with him or something!!! if he did he left absolutely no trace of the pink stuff, and why leave a part intact.

warmfront told me there may be other scheems available to me that can do the loft insulation 'properly'

i'm wondering about these £195 loft insualtion things you see advertised in tesco and the like, dont they use a goverment grant to pay for the main cost of soemthing?? would they be using warmfront of are there other 'grant' things to properly insulate this place.

Reply to
gazz

You'd be as well getting some cheap insulation from B&Q and either doing it yourself if you are able, or asking an able-bodied youngster to do it and bung him £20 - it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes

Reply to
Phil L

^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^ ? Does the staircase poke out the roof?

Like Phil says, a couple of rolls of insulation, and DIY-it. Wikes have had loft insulation on BOGOF for some time (bought some myself to overlay a couple of months back).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

l the rigramole of applying for this warm front

I didn't realise that all my empty wine bottles are being recycled into loft insulation - must keep up the cycle. Add note to computer Reminder List - order more wine for Xmas!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham