Warm air heating

Hi I'm thinking of moving house soon and one of the prospective houses I'm interested in has warm air heating (fairly new house). Are there any known probs with these systems, are they reliable, are parts easy to obtain. etc etc Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated Jim PS Also, do these systems provide domestic hot water as well?

Reply to
Jim Crow

The Question Asker

The biggest problem is that prospective buyers will have doubts about it when you come to sell, just like you do. We replaced ours with conventional rads a while ago because we were extending and it wasn't extendable. You definitely want Mod AirFlow (assuming Johnson&Starley) or an equivalent variable fan-speed system. As it's a modern house this is probably standard. Ours had a separate gravity-fed "Janus" heater and primatic DHW cylinder, also very 70's. Plusses are that it's very reliable; there's nothing to rust or leak. Also the house heats up very quickly and you don't lose wallspace to radiators. J&S spares should be no problem - don't know about other makes. Minuses -yes it's dry,dusty and a bit noisy. Also you'll probably find large gaps at the top and bottom of all doors, and you have to clean the dust filter regularly.

Reply to
Laurie R

I'm saying that there's not the space to spare in the vast majority of UK houses to install a forced air system that I'd be happy with. IMM only reads makers specs - and they never give the down sides.

Well, none of mine above the normal ambient background noise in a London house. True you might get some 'ticking' as things expand at switch on time, but this is easily cured if it bothers you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Really. That's what you use wind gags for - if needed. Glad to see your lack of basic knowledge extends far beyond your own claimed profession.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It's the brain that filters out unwanted sounds, not the ear.

Then you might have the decency to call him by his correct title - if indeed you know it. Of course, if he really was a film sound engineer, he wouldn't have worked for about 50 years - the last time sound was actually captured on film.

Pro audio gear doesn't have bass and treble knobs.

Care to give anymore examples of your ignorance?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

Doesn't he always?

Reply to
geoff

LOL, Maxie, you are so funny!

Reply to
IMM

warm air units are on the way out.....would not recommend one.....the have serious safety issues and are expensive to install...

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

It's already installed, so that's not an issue. I suppose you're going to say that they blow carbon monoxide all over the house, or that flames will come shooting out of the vents ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Good systems.

No.

Yes

Johnson ad Starley provide all parts. Most of the gas parts are common boiler controls.

Keep with it.

Some may have a gas circulator in the same casing to heat the hot water.

Adapt it to bring in fresh air. Then it is a forced air ventilation system. They also cool in summer by drawing in cooler outside air.

You can have a split system air/rads. most are extendable. It is just dutwork.

Yep.

Can be on a quick recovery coil cylinder. The Janus is very reliable.

Yep.

Yep.

Only J&S unless you go American. Lennox are available in the UK.

A humidifier (spinner) can easily be installed, an controlled via a humidistat.

Electrostatic air filters are available that are recommend for asthmatics.

New units are very quiet, also the cupboard can be further soundproofed quite easily.

Electrostatic filters have a dust trap.

Mr Gastec writes:

Oh this idiot again. There are no safety issues with warm units in any way whatsoever. Are you corgi registered? How do you make a living!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He will.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps you could enlighten us with your own credentials in this area.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, do you mean warm is dangerous too? Figures. Amateur myths.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you CORGI registered? How do you make a living?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes the older models could pump c/o around the house....less and les gas engineers are requalifying to work on warm air as there is no mone in it...the goverment is pushing to stop the sales of less efficiant c/ systems and this is putting the final nail in the coffin for war air....however there are folks that like warm air...its possible t intall a wet ch boiler that sources heat to a warm air unit via special heat exchanger...expensive and Ive never saw one installed i the uk .

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

Odd. I have a CH boiler feeding half a dozen fan convectors...

That is how you do it hese days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

.. and indeed for at least the last 25 years.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Only if the heat exchangers was holed. And as the modern exchangers are stainless steel highly unlikely.

A service call is a service call. The gas controls are the same as boiler controls.

Total bollocks!!! There are some highly efficient warm air systems. J&S have a condensing box that fits in a conventional flue adding efficiency.

I have seen lots. Whole housing estates and tower blocks had Copperads fitted. There are copper coil air handling units around, heated by boilers which heat the cylinders too.

You really should find out something about forced air before you prattle tripe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel