Warm Air alternatives

================================= I have done so and I note that you still haven't produced pictures of your personal installation. How many (approximate figures will do - you're obviously very busy installing them in large numbers) warm air systems have you personally installed recently and where can they be inspected?

If the system is as superior as you suggest then you would be setting an example to all those poor ignorant people who've chosen an inferior system.

It hasn't yet occurred to you that people vote with their feet and they clearly haven't yet voted in large numbers for warm air heating, and there's nothing to suggest that there is any large scale movement in that direction.

I repeat - people seek advice and choose what they want, not something dictated to them by someone prepared to condemn a whole industry as incompetents.

I also repeat the question posed by the OP - "Warm air alternatives". Your suggestion of 'warm air' as an alternative to 'warm air' doesn't make much sense.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Try Unico. They will show you around.

.,.and that it is. It pumps in fresh air for Gods sake!!!!

...I direct them to where they can get info. Have you read all the links?

The advice they get is poor.

Forced air, heat recovery and vent is. Get to understand what it is all about instead of being the silly prat.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

================================== You've failed to show any personal knowledge of the system you advocate. I've asked you to show pictures of your own installed system and of installations carried out by you. Clearly you can't and it seems very obvious to me that you've never picked up any kind of tool or worked 'hands-on' in your life.

This is a DIY group which people use to ask for information and advice. The OP asked about alternatives to warm air central heating and your only response to that is 'more warm air'. I suggested a possible alternative (an alternative because the OP asked for alternatives)in the form of a more conventional wet system, as favoured by the majority of specifiers, installers and customers. Your response to that is that the specifiers are ignorant, installers are fraudsters and customers are stupid. And of course, you know better than any specifier, you're more honest than any installer, but you have no customers and never have had any. Your credentials are not very convincing.

Let me remind you yet again. If warm air systems are so much superior to other systems they would have superseded those other systems long ago. They haven't done so for a variety of reasons and that situation is unlikely to be changed by a closet theorist like you with no practical experience of anything.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've had two wet systems and two warm air systems over the years. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The decider on this house was two extensions making it difficult to distribute warm air, and the lack of warm air equipment in this country.

An estate near here was equipped with a hybrid system, a conventional boiler, with radiators upstairs, and a central heat exchanger (with a variable speed fan) for the downstairs. These worked well, despite losing some of the advantages of a dry system by their hybrid nature.

Reply to
<me9

In normal day to day usage, a modern forced air/vent/heat recovery system is far superior. They are a world away from the older warm air systems which use the hallway as the return air ducting. These new systems have a constant supply of fresh air coming out of the ducts. The house is always fresh and never stale air or smalled hanging around. They also cool the house in summer too.

Unico is easy to extend.

On a new build I can't see the advantage of rads upstairs. Using air handlers heated via a wet coil does give flexibility. It is very easy to extend too - a new air handler fitted in the new extension. It also gives ease of zoning too. Many use a heat bank/thermal store heated by a boiler which gives Instant mains DHW and supply's the air handlers. Only one source of heat. Also, instant heat up from the store of hot water.

Unico have small tube high velocity ducting that is silenced. This was to feed into stud walls and ease of extending. Also to free the designer of many constraints using large ductwork - although in a new build renovation this is not a big problem.

In a British house they determine the where the cylinder cupboard is and the boiler can go in any kitchen cupboard. Many countries think we are mad to put boilers in kitchens. This means all they need to do is run thin pipes around the house. Unico is pipe piping to an extent

I have seen Unico tubing run down the inside of built-in wardrobes and under floor spaces to supply the ground floor from the ceiling. Upstairs via the loft.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are an idiot, that is clear.

Which is the best advice. Better a pro give it rather than a know-it-all amateur.

Your advice was poor.

Some mothers........he can't even take well meaning advice to get to know about the systems. I explained much to him and gave him link to start him and the loonpot keep coming back with drivel.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We have had a J&S approved guy call who recommends a new J&S heater - Economaire - it's sealed and doesn't fall foul of the increasingly tough ventilation/air entry standards. Looks OK.

BUT

However, it does seem a bit expensive. J&S won't tell me what their boilers cost so I have no way of checking. He wants £2400 to replace it, replace aged fortic and put in new controls.

Is this fair?

***************

Are other warm air boilers available, are they any good?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're confusing two completely different things. Balanced ventilation with heat recovery (MVHR) is an excellent choice if you can ensure the airtightness of the building envelope, but it would be set up so as to maintain a ventilation rate of 0.5ACH. The air that comes out of the outlet vents is warmed by passing over the heat exchanger, but will be slightly cooler than the ambient given that the heat exchanger is not 100% efficient.

If you want to heat a building using warm air, then you have to move a huge amount of it given its low thermal capacity and it has to come out of the grilles significantly warmer than ambient to do anything.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

< Yet more irrelevance snipped>

================================== Still no pictures of your workmanship, I notice. You're obviously not very proud of your workmanship or perhaps you only work on top secret projects.

You choose to criticise DIYers in a DIY group without giving any indication of the *professional* qualifications or expertise which might justify your criticism. DIYers get their hands dirty - you obviously don't and never have.

You rubbished all professionals in the field, and insulted their customers, now you recommend that I call in a professional (your good self) for advice. You want everybody to believe that you are uniquely qualified to tell everybody else how things should be done.

You are a total plantpot. You should be recycled into a small part of something useful, but that's probably too much to expect from somebody who can't grasp the simple fact that people can make choices without being browbeaten by a counter-top pundit.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In message , Cicero writes

99% of the British heating / ventilating industry prolly haven't flooded a house my injudicial use of a hacksaw
Reply to
geoff

As I recall, as with many of the things you recommend, you don't actually live where one is fitted do you?

Reply to
Peter Parry

I am not confusing anything at all.

The air is re-heated through a heater battery.

You got that right,

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie - they have!!! If it can be broke, they will brake it. Maxie do you use hacksaws up those trees wearing your frock? Do you think the frock will get caught? Do think hacksaws and frock should be outlawed when in the same room or when on the same beach?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You clearly know nothing of forced air? He was in the army you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Another uk.d-i-y plantpot!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

================================== Flow of dribble dried up!

Sad old Maxie - run out of hot air!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

How dare you! Maxie hasn't run out hot air at all. He always has reserve. Maxie is a fabulist.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel