Wardrobe sliding doors, top or bottom rollers?

Hi,

I am looking to convert 6x doors, 3.5M total, which are presently on hinges, to becomes sliders and without spending vaste amounts on doing the job. The door hinge system I used long ago, simply wasn't up to the job.

I know I'm in for some trouble doing the job, but...

Some systems use rollers at the top, others rollers at the bottom. what are the pros and cons of each type please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You get less muck lodging in top hung door rails. Also less prone to damage and no problems cleaning round.

Reply to
harry

My bottom roller doors have functioned perfectly for >30 years. Not had any crud problems. They don't like rolling over clothes!

Reply to
Capitol

Flat roofs, wall hung toilets, sash windows and sliding doors. Why?

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Sliding doors are cool and a great space saver.

The others I agree with you on!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have had the Stanley type bottom rollers for about 5 years, I support both these observations.

Reply to
newshound

[UPDATE]

I decided on bottom rollers as the better option for my purpose - a good wood floor for their support, but tricky due to weight had I used top hung roller. I imported them from a Polish company and they work fine.

I had to use 2x 2M tracks end to end to make up the 3.6M, which they said would work fine - it didn't I needed to make some fish-plates from tin to avoid misalignment between the track ends.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just fitted a bifold door across a stairwell, used the Slik hanging kit (top track) and a pair of Louvre doors from eBay (wider choice of sizes than Wickes). A bit fiddly because of the space, but works well. Wife and family approve.

(As I said before, I have bottom rollers on my big built-in wardrobe).

Reply to
newshound