Wanting to 'exceed' light fitting's max rating....

I have a light fitting (ceiling-mounting) which is rated at 60W max. Are there different bulb types available these days which would allow me to increase the light output? i.e. some type which is brighter for the same/less heat as a 'normal' 60W. (I don't have a problem with changing the actual electrical socket fitting if necessary).

Thanks.

Reply to
Col

A compact fluorescent is about your only option. Put a 20W one in, this will give you roughly the same light as a 100W incandescent (at least for the first couple of thousand hours).

Reply to
Grunff

In message , Col writes

As well as the obvious 20W or 25W compact fluorescents, There are some mains halogens in "normal" lamp style envelopes. Halogena is one brand name I recall (Philips product?). Will give more, and whiter, light than normal incandescent.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Do they start up as soon as they are switched on, or is there a significant delay?

Col

Reply to
Col

Modern ones do start up straight away, but they take maybe 5 mins to reach full brightness.

Reply to
Grunff

Just in case Col is tempted by a 15W flourescent, which seem to be a lot cheaper... the boxes usually give the light output at 700 lumens, which is the same as a 60W pearl incandescent, which I would agree, with having fitted one.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Yes, though not much. If CFL will fit I'd go with that. There are immediate full on ones available, but unless it specifically says so it wont be.

There are several other aproaches for the more enterprising.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton